2010 Subaru Forrester with 189,000 miles on it

Reaction score
My son recently bought this car and had two very strange issues with it right away. One is that the car will not start at random times. It turns over just fine but won't stop. If he lets it sit awhile it eventually will start. Mechanics don't think it's the starter, and they (at two different shops) are baffled. Both shops couldn't get the car to replicate the problem.

Secondly, his oil always registers as full, and then suddenly it registers very little oil. It's really a dangerous situation. We know that with this many miles the motor most likely burns oil. He doesn't want to overfill it, but he needs to make sure there is sufficient oil. Again, both of the mechanics we've taken it to don't understand it.

We would appreciate any insight someone may have. Thank you!

Randy

My son recently bought this car and had two very strange issues with it right away. One is that the car will not start at random times. It turns over just fine but won't stop. If he lets it sit awhile it eventually will start. Mechanics don't think it's the starter, and they (at two different shops) are baffled. Both shops couldn't get the car to replicate the problem.

Secondly, his oil always registers as full, and then suddenly it registers very little oil. It's really a dangerous situation. We know that with this many miles the motor most likely burns oil. He doesn't want to overfill it, but he needs to make sure there is sufficient oil. Again, both of the mechanics we've taken it to don't understand it.

We would appreciate any insight someone may have. Thank you!

Randy
Just a wild guess on my part, I am new to this forum too!
Q. 1. With that many miles on unit it might need a new fuel filter, located I think in tank under back seat, check with mechanic first if you don’t feel that you can change it out yourself?

Q. 2 Most all foresters burn OIL, lots of it in some cases, ask me how I know. The best way to guage this is to do your own oil change by using a drop pan, oil container large enough for 6 qt.’s, plastic measuring cup and measure what comes out. I think the quantity is like 5.2 qts with filter, filter will only have 10oz max if it is full. Maybe someone swapped out the dipstick with a different one? Lots of unknowns-dip stick is graduated with notches or dots to show quantity. Check the manual for quantity for sure. Hope this helps and let the forum know what you find out.

Ask a Question