2022 Outback Wilderness Battery Failure

Common for Subarus to keep car computers on in standby mode if you are near car with the key, or if any door on the car is not fully closed. Also the computers stay on if any interior light is on or accidentally left on.

All modern cars have WAY more electronics going on than a person would think. Anytime the car is unlocked there are lots of chips that are "awake", which will draw from the battery. ALWAYS lock your car when you are not using it, no matter if it's in your garage, on your driveway, or wherever. Locking the car will shut off a number of things that would otherwise be awake and drawing power.

Now, having said that, if your battery truly won't hold a charge, you should return it to the dealer and see about getting a replacement. That's not normal at all. Our 2020 Legacy now has almost 60,000 miles on it, and the battery is just fine. It can sit for days and still have no issues with the battery. I'd get yours checked out if it were me.

Have less than 3000 miles and the battery will not hold a charge. Anyone else having this problem?
Yes, I have a '22 wilderness as well...battery has died twice now with less that 8k miles on the car. No lights left on or doors left open either. Battery just died one day. charged it, drove it for a while and then left it in the garage for a couple days and died again...

Had the same problem. Took it in to the dealer and they ordered and replaced the battery...no charge. Believe the batteries had a manufacture defect.

I own a 2022 Wilderness and have had the battery fail twice in 10 months. In both instances, the draw wasn't from running the radio, lights or anything obvious. All systems controlled by the driver were off. It appears that sitting in the car, waiting for a ferry that comes only once an hour, is too much for the battery given all the electronics in the background that continue running if you are present in the car with the fob. In my case, that's an incredibly impactful flaw in the car's engineering, since I live on an island and use ferries to get on and off. Who designs a car that won't allow drivers to sit in it and wait for an hour without jeopardizing the ability of the car to start?! Every car I've ever owned let me not only sit and wait, but play the radio as well. I didn't buy a new car to put up with this nonsense.

The abysmal mileage (22mpg no matter how light footed I am), and these battery issues has me wanting to sell the car and buy something else.

I own a 2022 Wilderness and have had the battery fail twice in 10 months. In both instances, the draw wasn't from running the radio, lights or anything obvious. All systems controlled by the driver were off. It appears that sitting in the car, waiting for a ferry that comes only once an hour, is too much for the battery given all the electronics in the background that continue running if you are present in the car with the fob. In my case, that's an incredibly impactful flaw in the car's engineering, since I live on an island and use ferries to get on and off. Who designs a car that won't allow drivers to sit in it and wait for an hour without jeopardizing the ability of the car to start?! Every car I've ever owned let me not only sit and wait, but play the radio as well. I didn't buy a new car to put up with this nonsense.

The abysmal mileage (22mpg no matter how light footed I am), and these battery issues has me wanting to sell the car and buy something else.

first off, how in the *]%| are you even getting 2/mpg?! I’m not the lightest foot, but I try to be conscious about it and barely even get 17mpg!

As for the battery, I haven’t had my car due just sitting in my driveway, but I’ve had it fail on me twice after using accessory mode for more 15min. Has that happened to anyone else?

Ask a Question