2022 Outback Premium Dash/Screen Blackout

Reaction score
So I got a '22 Outback Premium new about two or three months ago. Last month I took a trip to Texas and while I was there the car did something really weird. When I started it up and put it in drive the dash and radio screen went black, and the windows stopped rolling up, almost like the car was losing power. Long story short, took it to a TX dealer and they updated the radio, but it didn't fix the problem. I drove it all the way back to Georgia with no more occurrences.

However, I took another 2-hour trip and the dash and screen flickered on and off multiple times. When it happens, it also resets the local weather settings from my area to Washington DC, and Sirius has issues reconnecting. Last week I took it to my local dealer for an oil change and had them look into the problem. Again, I'm told they can't duplicate the problem, no one has heard of this issue, and they even escalated it further up the line to Subaru.

My friend works at the assembly plant in Indiana and he thinks it's a loose plug - but the dealerships say that's impossible. However, Subaru's solution is to write it down and take a video whenever it happens, but I don't see how I can do that as the driver. Has anyone else had this problem, or have a clue as to what could possibly serve as a real solution?

I have the 2022 Outback Wilderness, bought it new, and this has happened to me at least half a dozen times in the year I've owned it. The screen goes black, the driver assist features (cameras, etc) all go offline, abs, radio, air conditioning, everything. The car still drives and stops, but electronically it's a blackout. It lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and typically occurs about 3 to 5 minutes into my drive (but recently within 30 seconds of starting up).

I haven't reported to my dealership yet, as I suspect it will be a difficult issue to verify and/or resolve. It was hard for my spouse to believe until he witnessed it. It's alarming when it happens, and I typically drive alone. There is no way I could safely record it happening. I'm usually just relieved that the car still drives and brakes!

I've had similar in a Crosstrek. Not sure what all went with it, but the radio head buzzed a few seconds went blank and reset.
Dealer has had a few shots at it, and finally told be to record it and they would change it. They can't find anything wrong. That is the story on an eyesight issue as well. Imagine that. Not sure I would have time to record it anyway.
It has updated a few times on it's own, and that may be what it was doing to start with, I don't know, and seems to be less and less.
Following for more info. So far, Subaru hasn't impressed me as much as I thought it would. Good luck.

2022 Outback Wilderness. Had this black screen 10 times. Mentioned to the dealer and they said there was an update to the software. The screen is made by Harmon Kardon. Did the update and so far no repeats

I had the same screen blackout and multiple system reboot problems with my 2021 Outback XT Touring while driving earlier this year. I took the car to the dealer, they upgraded the software and no repeats of the issues since.

Software should be updated frequently. I have the same problem, but it doesn't appear after the software upgrade

I have a variation of this problem in my '22 Outback Premium. The screen shows that I am making a call on my cell phone. Car runs normally but the screen can't be changed, until I turn off the bluetooth on my phone. Then things return to normal.

I find that these persistant software glitches can be overcome by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, it takes all of 1 minute. It is no different to rebooting a computer, phone,etc, everything resets by design.

So I got a '22 Outback Premium new about two or three months ago. Last month I took a trip to Texas and while I was there the car did something really weird. When I started it up and put it in drive the dash and radio screen went black, and the windows stopped rolling up, almost like the car was losing power. Long story short, took it to a TX dealer and they updated the radio, but it didn't fix the problem. I drove it all the way back to Georgia with no more occurrences.

However, I took another 2-hour trip and the dash and screen flickered on and off multiple times. When it happens, it also resets the local weather settings from my area to Washington DC, and Sirius has issues reconnecting. Last week I took it to my local dealer for an oil change and had them look into the problem. Again, I'm told they can't duplicate the problem, no one has heard of this issue, and they even escalated it further up the line to Subaru.

My friend works at the assembly plant in Indiana and he thinks it's a loose plug - but the dealerships say that's impossible. However, Subaru's solution is to write it down and take a video whenever it happens, but I don't see how I can do that as the driver. Has anyone else had this problem, or have a clue as to what could possibly serve as a real solution?
2022 tour Happened twice. each time I went to the factory reset ,

I have a 2021 Subaru Outback touring model, over the last three years I’ve had to take it to the dealer as the info screen would either stay off for the first 10 minutes or so after starting the car. Two days ago. Oct 4th I went to start the car and the info system was completely black, nothing and it did not come back on at all, no controls, no radio and AC. Completely blank and non functioning. Took it to the dealer this morning first thing as this dealer has been very accommodating as we planned on a 12 day road trip. 45 minutes later he came to me with the BAD. News. The radio went out it being a part of the info system just shuts down everything. Has anybody had to have there radio part of the info system replaced, the next BAD news they will not have the replacement for 2-3 weeks. Come on Subaru let’s have a better backup supply line. Now I have 60MPH air conditioning like I had 45 years ago. Any input regarding similar type of situation would be helpful. ,

I have a 2018 Outback and have been having this problem for over 6 months. Been back and forth with the dealer. They say they need to get console replacements from Japan but all this time still nothing. Just called again today. This should be reported to the NTSB. This should be a compulsory recall or some such thing.
This is beyond ridiculous and I see this started happening to people longer ago. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS GETTING THIS RESOLVED AND WHEN AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?
THANKS!

I have a 2021 outback and am having the same issues and get the same response. They are now indicating it may need replacing...now that it is no longer under warranty. Also glitches when I plug in my phone as I don't want android auto. Won't charge my phone

So I finally have an update to share. In short, they found and replaced a fault front relay module control assembly. It couldn’t pass a wiggle test - dropped voltage. This explains why bumpy roads always enhanced the problem.

I can already see a huge improvement. In complete transparency, to pay out of pocket with the dealer for replacement would’ve cost $600. I was still under warranty and had the extended electronics coverage (which comes with a $100 deductible). I paid $0.

Editing to say they could never duplicate my concerns. I tried convincing them to drive it on a bumpy or mountain road to no avail. It also never threw codes.

I have a 2018 Outback and have been having this problem for over 6 months. Been back and forth with the dealer. They say they need to get console replacements from Japan but all this time still nothing. Just called again today. This should be reported to the NTSB. This should be a compulsory recall or some such thing.
This is beyond ridiculous and I see this started happening to people longer ago. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS GETTING THIS RESOLVED AND WHEN AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?
THANKS!
Posted an update. Front relay module control assembly was faulty. It failed wiggle test, which resulted in a drop in voltage. Replacement has “fixed” all my issues. Took 18 months and 5 visits to the dealer. Finally called Subaru of America and they made the dealer figure it out and fix it.

Two years later and this is still happening in my 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness. It happens roughly twice a month. No one seems interested enough to assist, so I've just learned to deal with it.

Posted an update. Front relay module control assembly was faulty. It failed wiggle test, which resulted in a drop in voltage. Replacement has “fixed” all my issues. Took 18 months and 5 visits to the dealer. Finally called Subaru of America and they made the dealer figure it out and fix it.
For those out of warranty and capable of DIY repairs would you share the part number of the module they replaced?

See my post (and a few others) with basically that same problem. I've gotten a raft of runarounds from the dealer. The problem is pretty widespread and in 2021 there was a class-action lawsuit...but you had to know about it and join it before those suing got a settlement. I keep getting what seem to be bogus assurances that the problem will be addressed. But still butkis.

Ask a Question