2021 Outback radio problems

Reaction score
Hello, just joined and I am hoping that I can get some suggestions for my radio disfunction:
My radio has the following malfunctions: (using Sirius xm)
1. the stations that I have pre-loaded will
disappear from the screen
2. radio will then go into "loading" mode and stay there for 20-25 minutes
3. volume control sometimes stops functioning
4. in the upper left corner a "white mountain and white moon" symbol will appear
5. outside temperature display doesn't work on some occasions
6. three days ago I had volume from the left front speaker only

The dealership did a radio update and recently installed a new CCU and problem still continues.
Service manager told me yesterday that they didn't know what is causing the issue. I was informed that Subaru is working on a new radio update and that I should be patient!

Suggestions on the next course of action I should take would be appreciated.

Did you ever get a fix for your XM radio issue? I am having the same problem with the radio “loading” for quite a long time. It only seems to load by turning off the car and starting again. Even then, when it does load, it takes 30-40 seconds on a good day. I’m due for service next month and wondered is the radio ‘update’ fixed your issue. Thanks

Hello Sharon, I had two updates done and the problem persisted. After doing some research which led to believe that the HD portion of the system may be at fault. I turned that feature on/off a few different times. I’m not sure if that made any difference, but, currently my radio has a brief loading time of 10-15 seconds and then it’s back to normal functioning. I decided that I could live with that seemingly small issue and that was 3 months ago. Please let me know how it works out for you.

As of Nov 3rd Dealer showed me a technical bullentin from Subaru describing the problem and a 10/30 software update is supposely will fix it. Getting installed now and will see.

My SiruisXM “loading” problem is happening all the time now. I read in another forum that folks have tried changing the radio source to USB or FM before they turn off the car and when they restart again they can successfully tune back to SXM. I’ll really annoyed with is issue and intend to go into the dealer next week for resolution for the second time. My software version is F31BHM111-280. Hopefully there’s a fix for this cause I only listen to SXM .

As I mentioned on Nov 2 the dealer did a new software upload which seems to have taken care of the problem. Fingers crossed. What is a little bit confusing is they said it came from a new TSB 15-261-20R, however, that was dated in 2021.

Thanks leiserlegacy. Glad to hear the new software has improved SXM performance. I’m scheduled for service next week and will get the update. Fingers crossed it’s a permanent solution.

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I had the latest sw release installed and I’m thrilled to report the XM radio has been trouble free. It loads as fast as the other bands, especially if I wait for it to start playing before I put the car in gear. Touch wood it’s the final solution!

Hello, just joined and I am hoping that I can get some suggestions for my radio disfunction:
4. in the upper left corner a "white mountain and white moon" symbol will appear

The dealership did a radio update and recently installed a new CCU and problem still continues.
Service manager told me yesterday that they didn't know what is causing the issue. I was informed that Subaru is working on a new radio update and that I should be patient!

I am having exact same issues with my 2021 Subaru radio. Have taken it to dealership on more than three occasions. First time they replaced it with a refurbished radio ( which I thought was unfair since we haven’t even made 2 payments on it yet ), problem remained. Took it back they did a software update, problem remained. Took it back and this time they said they were aware of the problem and the newest software update would take car of it, they did the software update and the problem still remains. I am sitting in the Subaru dealership now for some routine maintenance and they said they will take another look at it. I am very frustrated now.

We are having the same problem with our 2019 Outback. We purchased a 10-year warranty and both the dealer and Subaru of America told us they have no idea when they can get a new radio/info unit installed. It's been six months. Very disappointing.

Ask a Question