2021 Crosstrek thrown engine rod

Reaction score
8 weeks ago our 2021 Crosstrek engine failed while my husband and I were driving on a highway. The car had 45k miles on it. We bought it used in August 2022 at a Toyota dealership. We had no issues with it until it broke down. The car was towed to the nearest Subaru dealership. A few days later we were informed that the warranty did not cover the drive train (only covered to 15k) and our issue had to do with the drive train. We then contacted Subaru USA and asked that they repair the engine under warranty. Subaru USA asked for documentation of oil changes and regular maintenance which we provided. They then told us that they wanted an "independent" mechanic to evaluate the engine. Apparently this was done last month, however, we still have not heard back from Subaru USA. We were supposed to speak with a Subaru USA rep earlier this week, but she keeps telling us she'll call and then does not. Does anyone else have experience with this? It seems an unreasonable amount of time to wait to hear back from Subaru USA and shocking that the engine on a 2 year old car would fail and Subaru would not cover it. Any advice?

8 weeks ago our 2021 Crosstrek engine failed while my husband and I were driving on a highway. The car had 45k miles on it. We bought it used in August 2022 at a Toyota dealership. We had no issues with it until it broke down. The car was towed to the nearest Subaru dealership. A few days later we were informed that the warranty did not cover the drive train (only covered to 15k) and our issue had to do with the drive train. We then contacted Subaru USA and asked that they repair the engine under warranty. Subaru USA asked for documentation of oil changes and regular maintenance which we provided. They then told us that they wanted an "independent" mechanic to evaluate the engine. Apparently this was done last month, however, we still have not heard back from Subaru USA. We were supposed to speak with a Subaru USA rep earlier this week, but she keeps telling us she'll call and then does not. Does anyone else have experience with this? It seems an unreasonable amount of time to wait to hear back from Subaru USA and shocking that the engine on a 2 year old car would fail and Subaru would not cover it. Any advice?
2/28/2024 my 2021 Limited with the 2.5 and only 20,000 miles had a chatastrophic engine failure. I had it towed to the dealership for diagnostics. Now I wait for the run around.

Ask a Question