2013 Outback Piston Ring Replacement

Reaction score
I'm a new 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 CVT owner and new here, so I would appreciate some guidance.

I read lots of reports on Outbacks and the best conditioned one I found was the 2013 with 102K miles. It is in excellent condition and had the required transmission upgrade work done in July 2023, but I completely blanked on the oil burning issue which I had it my head pertained to other models and the 2010 - 2012 Outback.

There was no evidence of oil leaks when I inspected the car and I believe the seller (an older Vietnam veteran who seemed as legit as a seller could be) when he tells me he has never smelled any oil burning or seen excessive oil consumption. He gave me receipts of the past three years and it looks as if he has had oil changes regularly between 4 and 6 thousand miles.

Question 1: Should I bite the bullet now and have my mechanic swap the piston rings to avoid or mitigate the problem? I don't have money to burn, but I don't want any larger mechanical issues to result from potential excess oil burning.

Question 2: Does it make sense to pay Subaru dealership for an oil consumption test or do I need to first wait to see if there is a problem?

Question 3: Is the oil burning issue a given on any 2013 Outback and come down to a matter of time or does it just come down to a matter of luck?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Ask a Question