2011 Forester LT - Thick White Smoke at start up after PCV Valve and Oil Change?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 LT Forester with 130,000+ miles on it.
Runs great in every other aspect, really love this car and am trying to fight for it's life.

Problem:

To cut to the chase, I'm having very thick white smoke from the exhaust on startup.
Smoke is so thick it does not rise or clear, instead it lingers at car height, sort of 'standing' there.
Smoke has burning plastic odor.
When engin is at running temp, 2-3 minutes, smoking stops.
I will share the mechanic's diagnostics soon, but don't want to muddy the waters in case someone has insight into this.

Background:

1. I started having the infamous oil-burning problem these engins get, at arount 110,000 miles. Recall for this issue stoped around 2019.
  2. Since then had topped off oil every couple of weeks, going to regular maintanance every 3000 miles or so for oil changes and the like.
  3. Had a valve cover gasket replaced due to some oil seepage around the valve covers on both sides about a year ago.
  4. Then, enter Smoke: Problem appeared after my last service where PCV valve was replaced and oil additive used to thicken the oil.
  5. Shop would often use 5-w30 instead of reccomended 0-w20.
  6. At first shop claimed smoke was due to additive burning off. after a few weeks and the diagnostics they gave me I am reluctent to go back and am looking for another shop to go to.
  7. Colllant level is ok, that is, not loosing coolant. Shop said head gasket test clears but the coolant itself is muddy and oily.

If anyone has any idea what could cause this, I would appriciate the help.

Thank you all so much

Problem was solved by another shop.
PCV valve was not OeM part and was not functioning properly.

Ask a Question