2006 Impreza fresh/rec manual air conditioner lever broken

Reaction score
My son has 2006 Subaru Impreza that has a manual air conditioner. There is the lever that switches from inside to outside air. It is broken and stuck (I can shove a key or something in there to move it but it doesn't even move half way) it is stuck on inside recirculation. Does anyone have any videos/pictures or a walkthrough on how to fix this so it slides? I am not so concerned about the lever being fixed but want to move it so it doesn't fog up the inside. Picture below is an example (and mine is stuck on the other side). I have searched but cannot find anything specific to an Impreza. I think its behind the glove box somewhere but how much do I need to tear apart to fix this?

1698794739233.png

Attachments

• 1698794614259.png
    1698794614259.png
    216.6 KB · Views: 3
My son has 2006 Subaru Impreza that has a manual air conditioner. There is the lever that switches from inside to outside air. It is broken and stuck (I can shove a key or something in there to move it but it doesn't even move half way) it is stuck on inside recirculation. Does anyone have any videos/pictures or a walkthrough on how to fix this so it slides? I am not so concerned about the lever being fixed but want to move it so it doesn't fog up the inside. Picture below is an example (and mine is stuck on the other side). I have searched but cannot find anything specific to an Impreza. I think its behind the glove box somewhere but how much do I need to tear apart to fix this?

View attachment 2273
The cable could be kinked or the actual lever is jammed, you have to move the HVAC unit out. You can do it...pull off the face plate bezel that's around the HVAC unit and the head unit. After you do that you'll see screws holding the HVAC unit to the center dash area. Remove the screws to remove HVAC unit to investigate. Glove box is easy to remove on these GD chassis Impreza. Open glove box, you'll see about 5-6 screws inside small inward flanges and 3 screws underneath in passenger footwell area. You might have to replace the cable and/or hvac unit. Good wrencing.

The cable could be kinked or the actual lever is jammed, you have to move the HVAC unit out. You can do it...pull off the face plate bezel that's around the HVAC unit and the head unit. After you do that you'll see screws holding the HVAC unit to the center dash area. Remove the screws to remove HVAC unit to investigate. Glove box is easy to remove on these GD chassis Impreza. Open glove box, you'll see about 5-6 screws inside small inward flanges and 3 screws underneath in passenger footwell area. You might have to replace the cable and/or hvac unit. Good wrencing.
Thank you very much got it fixed I appreciate it!

Ask a Question