2003 Subaru Baha head gasket issues

Reaction score
My mother bought this car brand new in 2004. She ridiculously bought this insane warranty package with it. I believe it was a 100K miles or ten years with lifetime oil changes. She still has the car. Its got 129K miles on it. It still runs excellent. When the car was just north of 60K miles she took it in for her oil change where they always do an inspection. She was told that the head gasket was leaking and needed to be replaced. She scheduled it, took it back, and they replaced it free of charge. It was a very expensive procedure though.

Still, i remember thinkin 'Wow! At 60K miles?!? Really?!? And how come there were literally no symptoms?' At 110K miles (after her warranty had expired) she took it in for her free oil change and they informed her that the head gasket was leaking again. WTH?!? Shes 67 years old and was very worried. I told her 'forget those guys. Your car runs perfectly.

Now a few weeks ago and almost 20K miles later, she takes her car to a friend mechanic to do a little job. He also tells her it looks like the head gasket is leaking. Wow! Really? In my experience a leaking head gasket was the beginning of a quick death of a motor which would include overheating, and water in the oil.

I dont comprehend a leaking head gasket on a motor thats drivin 20K miles perfectly with no symptoms whatsoever. The oil is clear and it has literally never ever overheated. Am i missing something here? The worst thing about it is she could never really enjoy the car with this head gasket issue looming in the back of her mind.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Ask a Question