09 legacy 2.5 non turbo/#2 cylinder misfire check engine light

Reaction score
09 legacy 2.5 non turbo/#2 cylinder misfire check engine light, I'm a new Subaru owner and I have no idea where to begin. Maybe spark plug or wire? please help

Id start with the plugs then coil. Check the spark plug and if its good swap the coil from one to another and see if the misfire follows.

when you say coil, swap one for the other, do you mean switch number 2 wire to another spot on the coil? isn't there a firing order?
Not 100% familiar with it but looking at the coil pack for a 2009 it looks like you have two coils. Each coil goes to two cylinders. Usually in this arrangement each coil fires twice per rotation, simultaneously, making that a "waste spark" to try and ignite unburned fuel. But that's not important right now.

You should be able to swap the coils. If the misfire switches to a different cylinder, then it's that coil. If it's ANY coil, replace them BOTH. It's old enough where they will probably need it soon.

So the wires are in a set order so you dont want to attach them backwards. I had a mouse chew into my cool wiring and I learned to look closely at all my wiring.

Ask a Question