08 outback: issues with atf fluid

Reaction score
Owner of 2008 Subaru outback... Question with details: my car is not turbo, standard...everything has been going wrong with this car the past few months. Most recently my rear drive shaft broke in half. It was repaired a few days ago and seemingly driving ok until yesterday. Long story short no ATF in the car ( automatic transmission fluid),nearly empty. Car began at oil temp alert, shifted into sport mode, limped home to find there was no fluid. Replaced fluid and drove ok. Recently had the transmission fluid serviced a few months ago so it wasn't dirty and there was no clear leak area. Is it possible that the ATF drained when my rear drive shaft broke or do I have a leak? Are these in any way connected or is this ANOTHER problem. Ready to trade this car in because I am already poor from spending $500 every time I turn around to fix new problem but this car is really killing my family savings at this point . I also have a leaky power steering pump. Do I need to head back in not even a week later? Could the ATF have just drained when the read drive shaft broke and the mechanic didn't notice? Thoughts? This car has 121,000 miles and had zero issues the past few years until the worst possible times. Really not sure whether to pay to take it back in or if a refill of ATF should help me limp along till my next crisis.

Ask a Question