What is the "i" above the Gear Indicator on the Dashboard?

Reaction score
Everyone,

What is the "i" annunciated above the Parking Brake indicator on the dashboard in a Subaru Ascent? I am attaching a couple of photos of it. I've seen a yellow "i" which to me means more along the line of "caution" like approaching a low fuel situation. Something red is typically a warning and require immediate attention. But in this case, the "i" is red. So what is the significance of a red "i" above the Parking Brake indicator annunciated on the dashboard?

Speedometer Car Gauge Tachometer Automotive design

(In the first photo, there is also a seatbelt warning light annunciated with the "i" and therefore the i is red as a warning? Although why would you need red "i" in addition to the seatbelt indicator?)
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Car Tachometer

In the second photo, you can see that the "i" is still there. But this time it's yellow instead of red. There's a seatbelt warning indicator along with the caution for low fuel indicator. So how do you differentiate the difference between a red i or a yellow i? What is the logic of having that i tell?

Are you supposed to use one of the selectors on the steering wheel to cycle through a list of messages?

I did scour through the operator's manual for the Subaru Ascent, and the "i" does not show anywhere on the dashboard pages or near the indicator pages.

Here is another Subaru Ascent that I found but does not have the red "i" even though the Seat Belt warning indicator is on. So what is the logic of having that "i" there? So far, I've only noticed it in a Subaru Ascent.

Car Speedometer Automotive design Tachometer Gauge

Ask a Question