Unknown Toggle switch under dash board

Reaction score
This is on a 2014 Forester PZEV. The toggle switch hangs by two wires just left of the steering column under dashboard. It says On/Off it is currently On...what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_1476[1].jpg
    IMG_1476[1].jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1475[1].jpg
    IMG_1475[1].jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 291
On most remote start installations a switch is placed under the hood as a safety feature so that the function is disabled when the hood is raised. Alternatively I have seen a switch wired as yours is that does the same thing without drilling a hole in the fender or core support. The only thing is that you have to remember to manually disable the system before working under the hood. The other use I have seen for this type of switch is to enable/disable an aftermarket alarm.
I suggest confirming whether the car has either of these features. If so, turn the switch to off and see if the operation is disabled.
Once you confirm the operation of the switch I recommend installing it in a hidden but convenient location under the dash.

Not a Subaru expert but I didn’t know Subies came with a factory remote start. Could it be a dealer installation? I would still try remotely starting the car. If that works try turning the switch off and see if that disabled the remote start or the alarm. If it starts beeping with a 10-second countdown, get out of there fast!:)

I gave this info to my son. I also suggested that it might be an engine immobilizer to help prevent theft so he can check for that too. I'll report my findings. Thanks, 69RR.

Ask a Question