Unknown noise from dash area 2011 Legacy

Reaction score

0:02, 0:07, 0:10, 0:23, 0:28

The noise started last Summer. Initially I thought it was tied to the A/C but as the year progressed - and it got cooler and I stopped using the a/c (i don't use the heat at all) I'm positive it has nothing to do with the A/c. i wish the video had better audio because it does get quite loud at times. Naturally, every time I've gone to the damn dealer I can never get the sound to replicate but it has ZERO issues annoying the hell outta me any other time. The best way I can describe it is if you put a scratched disc into a cd player and the player tries to read it - it's that electric warbling sound.

I've checked the blower motor and it's not that. Belts and brakes are new and again, I'm 99% certain the sound is NOT coming from under the hood. There's no disc in the cd player and it makes the sound with the radio off anyway. The sound seems like it's coming from the passenger side dash area somewhere - which is why I thought maybe the blower motor was an issue at first.

What triggers the noise? Accelerating slowly at around 2500rpms seems to be the primary trigger. If you push the gas a little bit harder it cuts the sound off immediately.

Ask a Question