Tire pressure monitoring system TMPS

Reaction score
2015 Forester TPMS/tire pressure question. All my 63 year old life I have abided by mfr recommended tire pressures listed on drivers door frame decal and owners manual, currently 30 lbs front/29 lbs rear. My TPMS warning light keeps coming on.I check pressures and they are fine. Local dealer just increases pressures to 35 lbs all wheels, says that’s all it needs, and resets light. It comes back on after a few miles. I’ve asked if it could be sensor batteries tired or bad sensor/wrong settings (though same thing was happening with winter tires bought two years ago, mounted on new rims with new sensors) with new rims. Told “not”. I’ve looked at tires when getting into car all my driving life and think TPMS is nothing but another thing that can go wrong and costs a few hundred bucks to replace every few years. Just contributes to warning light fatigue but if they’re going to be on anyway and I don’t think they benefit me I’ll live with the light and look at the tires. The question is, is there anything to dealers assertion I should just run them at 35 lbs?

take it to a tire shop and have them test each sensor to see if one of the batteries is bad. It is very likely one is. It only takes a few minutes for a tire shop to test them . it can be done without removing the tire. Believe me one or more may be bad. as far as tire pressure I run 35 in all my tires and it is fine. Also once the sensors are tested I think you can adjust when the tire light comes on from the inside of the car. check your manual on this. You can set the light at any pressure you like.

Ask a Question