THE BIG UGLY BLACK BOX ON THE WINDSHIELD

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2024 fully loaded Subaru Crosstrek.. I find the huge black box attached to the top of the windshield quite obnoxious as it steals a good part of the view of the road. I assume the box contains housing for various safety features, etc. But let me ask you, what could not be more unsafe than taking up a large chunk of the the view of the windshield from the driver?!! Maybe it’s just me! Maybe I’ll get used to it! But I doubt it. Does anyone else feel the way I do?!

I don't get it. Did u not notice it on the test drive? If it bothers you as much as u say why did u buy the car?

That’s an easy answer! I placed an order for the ‘24 Crosstrek in early spring when it first became possible to order the car. At that time there were no new models to be seen or test driven At ANY SUBURU DEALERSHIP. And as far as viewing the car online, I’m sure that large black box attached to the top of the windshield is something that would be hard to pick up by you, me or anyone else for that matter. But like I mentioned in my first post, maybe it’s just me that’s bothered by it, and that is why I’m curious to hear from other recent SUBURU Crross Track owners to see If it bothers them too!!

Ummm..OK. I have a 2018..so maybe not as bad? It's mostly the Eyesight system in there. Bothers me zero. Other than that..ya took delivery of the car sooo...Never bought nor ordered a vehicle myself without driving first and highly recommend that approach.

That’s an easy answer! I placed an order for the ‘24 Crosstrek in early spring when it first became possible to order the car. At that time there were no new models to be seen or test driven At ANY SUBURU DEALERSHIP. And as far as viewing the car online, I’m sure that large black box attached to the top of the windshield is something that would be hard to pick up by you, me or anyone else for that matter. But like I mentioned in my first post, maybe it’s just me that’s bothered by it, and that is why I’m curious to hear from other recent SUBURU Crross Track owners to see If it bothers them too!!
I feel your discomfort and agree with the initial lack of knowing about "the box"!
I have found myself accepting it or at least not letting it bug me...too often anyway.

Some years ago I owned a Crosstrek. I honestly don’t remember if there was even a black box behind the mirror! But if there was, I’m sure it wasn’t as large as the 2024 Crosstrek, “too large & ugly” black box that’s attached to the windshield and takes up a large chuck of the drivers view of the road. Yes, I get new “eyesight” benefits and all, but sorry, it looks like a bad afterthought, aftermarket design, that’s too large to be where it is placed!

Lots of other cars have this too. They seem to be packaging the Starlink system in there just like they do with Onstar and other systems like this. To compound this, I've stuck my I-Pass toll RF device right there.

The one good thing about this box, it eliminates the gap between your mirror and the roof where most cars let light through even with window visors down. So take the good with the bad.

I felt like that on the test drive. Lowered the seat, adjusted the steering wheel for the new position, and fixed the problem for me. May not work for everyone.

I feel your discomfort and agree with the initial lack of knowing about "the box"!
I have found myself accepting it or at least not letting it bug me...too often anyway.
I feel the same way. I purchased a 2024 Crosstrek at the end of Sept. I thought I would get used to it, but that hasn't happened. I love the vehicle except this box issue . I didn't realize how much window space it did take up which I feel is a hindrance.

I just took delivery of a 2024 fully loaded Subaru Crosstrek.. I find the huge black box attached to the top of the windshield quite obnoxious as it steals a good part of the view of the road. I assume the box contains housing for various safety features, etc. But let me ask you, what could not be more unsafe than taking up a large chunk of the the view of the windshield from the driver?!! Maybe it’s just me! Maybe I’ll get used to it! But I doubt it. Does anyone else feel the way I do?!
I went to buy a new Subaru and would not buy the 2024 models due to this huge box in the window. Went with a low mileage prior year Model avoid this. It is the most ridiculous eyesite system on the market. WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING. I'm sure as 2024 progresses, others will complain. Subaru missed the boat on this one??

I went to buy a new Subaru and would not buy the 2024 models due to this huge box in the window. Went with a low mileage prior year Model avoid this. It is the most ridiculous eyesite system on the market. WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING. I'm sure as 2024 progresses, others will complain. Subaru missed the boat on this one??

I found my head very close to the black box but know that eyesight cameras are in there. I feel I will get used to the box because the safety of the vehicle is what we want

Eyesight housing wasn’t an issue for me when I purchased my ‘20 Crosstrek or for my ‘23 Forester Wilderness. I couldn’t care less for the lane centering and safety features it provides, but I still want them available when other family members drive my car. So, I just don’t dwell on it. Actually, it does help me in blocking the sun where the visors don’t block.

It bothered me on the first drive but I soon got over it. Safety overruled

I was at the dealer today, picking up my license plates, and while there, I checked out the 2024 Crosstreks, Ascent, Forester, and Outback, and they don’t appear anything worse than my former 20 Crosstrek or current ‘23 Forester Wilderness. But, if it is a problem, I’d look at other vehicles without that issue.

I feel the same way. I purchased a 2024 Crosstrek at the end of Sept. I thought I would get used to it, but that hasn't happened. I love the vehicle except this box issue . I didn't realize how much window space it did take up which I feel is a hindrance.
THANK YOU SUNSHINE GIRL! I’m glad you agree with me. I love SUBURUS! I’ve owned many of them over the years and still own an Outback. As far as the BIG BLACK BOX is concerned, proportionally, in relation to the small size of the windshield, the box is too big. It looks awkward. It bothers me enough that I have decided to sell the car.!

was thinking of getting the 2024 cross trek limited but with these comments i will check for a model 2023 if available does anyone know if the 2023 has a smaller black box set up ?

Ask a Question