Struts & Springs VS Coil cover?

Reaction score
Hello friends, I'm new here, and I own a 2000 Subaru 'Ouback Sport' (Impreza platform), 210K miles.

I don't have an engineering background but I am trying to DIY a few things due to a grave financial situation. I have struggled, learnt and have finally changed the brakes, rotors, and axles in the recent past and I know that I can change the struts with some help from members of this forum.

The car rides such that I can feel every little bump on the road, especially in the rear, as if there is no suspension at all! It is not worth it, nor can I afford it, to spend much money on this car but I would like to replace the struts inexpensively. I looked up and found what seems to referred to as "coilcovers", but from the look of it, the spring coil is narrower (diameters of the coils) than the stock that I presently have which are broader at one end narrowing to the other end.

What are the differences between 'Springs and Struts' and 'Coilcovers'? Are the cheap coilcovers on Amazon work, are they generally Chinese made shiny stuff that don't work well, or will they work for a few years reliably? Anyone have some experience with these or similar? The one I found is here:

https://www.amazon.com/LSAILON-Coilo...Subaru+Impreza

I don't need it to be adjustable, or lowered, and would just like to have the relatively softer setting the car came with. Are the above coilcovers meant for stiffening the suspensions and lowering only? Can they be adjusted to be nearly akin to OEM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Ask a Question