Outback Limited vs Outback Wilderness

Reaction score
We are looking to purchase our first Subaru. We are trading a large SUV hoping to maintain as much capability as we can, with a much lower cost of ownership. We live in the midwest so we get all four seasons strongly, we travel country roads some, and trips into the mountains each year. I have been weighing between the Outback Limited & Wilderness. I have researched the technical differences, what I am wanting people's perspectives on are the practical differences. So if there is anyone who has owned both who can speak to this, that would be super helpful. In our situation, is the Wilderness' capabilities worth the cost difference or is the Limited going to do just fine? Thanks.

We own a 2020 Legacy Limited, and wanted to add a vehicle that had more "trail" capability. We looked at a lot of different vehicles, and decided to stick with Subaru. We went with the Outback Wilderness. I wanted the extra ground clearance and other "off road" features the Wilderness has over the other Outback trim levels. The tradeoff is that the Wilderness doesn't have some of the "premium" features like our Legacy has (as would the Outback Limited). The Wilderness does not have seat memory, or "driver profiles" or "driver monitoring" like the Limited level. But we were willing to give up some of those features in order to get the things the Wilderness offered that are not available on any other trim level.

We own a 2020 Legacy Limited, and wanted to add a vehicle that had more "trail" capability. We looked at a lot of different vehicles, and decided to stick with Subaru. We went with the Outback Wilderness. I wanted the extra ground clearance and other "off road" features the Wilderness has over the other Outback trim levels. The tradeoff is that the Wilderness doesn't have some of the "premium" features like our Legacy has (as would the Outback Limited). The Wilderness does not have seat memory, or "driver profiles" or "driver monitoring" like the Limited level. But we were willing to give up some of those features in order to get the things the Wilderness offered that are not available on any other trim level.
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. In terms of premium features, we have narrowed our look to the Limited because of one or two features, not the whole host of premium features; just not our style. So in your experience, are the Wilderness' capabilities that much greater? Especially in the 95% of the time that it isn't in a more hardcore "off-road" situation, but rather in snow & ice around town or on a gravel road or a soft-to-muddy pasture trail or a rainy county road. I know the Limited would be a compromise in the more extreme situations, but in these more common situations, is there really much difference between the Limited's performance and the Wilderness'? Thanks.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. In terms of premium features, we have narrowed our look to the Limited because of one or two features, not the whole host of premium features; just not our style. So in your experience, are the Wilderness' capabilities that much greater? Especially in the 95% of the time that it isn't in a more hardcore "off-road" situation, but rather in snow & ice around town or on a gravel road or a soft-to-muddy pasture trail or a rainy county road. I know the Limited would be a compromise in the more extreme situations, but in these more common situations, is there really much difference between the Limited's performance and the Wilderness'? Thanks.
Since I can only compare our Wilderness to our Legacy, it's really not a fair comparison. I think the biggest difference between an Outback Limited and Wilderness in the situations you describe would be the somewhat more aggressive tires on the Wilderness. I'm sure they'd be better in snow, as well as the soft-to-muddy situation you mention. Of course, if you really like the equipment on the Limited better, you could just get different tires to make it closer to the Wilderness. Then all you really missing is the slightly greater ground clearance (and X mode programming if the Limited doesn't have that, but I think it does).

Ask a Question