Misfiring under load, rough and high idle, jolting while driving

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza r hatch with the EJ20 naturally aspirated motor. It has 205k kms.

I bought it second hand and I honestly feel like I've been sold a lemon. The issue has clearly been chased before and my mechanic and I are stumped.

The car has a rough idle, slowly falling then picking back up, it idles around 1500 - 2000 rpm. The car noticeably jolts and misfires under any sort of acceleration.

I have a Bank 1 running rich code and no misfire codes. My mechanic informed me it was a "past code" meaning it had occurred, but was no longer "affecting" the car and had been stored on the ecu's memory. He could not clear the code with 4 different scan tools and even his tuning computer.

I've replaced the pre - cat O2 sensor, the spark plugs (which were very worn) and ignition coils. I've also performed an ECU reset. I also have swapped out the mid pipe with a WRX midpipe and I have a custom muffler, however the issue was present before these were installed. MAF sensor looks to have been replaced and looks pristine.

I love the car but all of this hassle is really putting me off and I'm lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question