Michelin Defender vs Crossclimate?

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a tire recommendation for my Forester. I have used Defenders before and been happy with them, so I might get another set of those, but someone at the shop recommended Crossclimate.
I am a skier so I do a lot of driving in canyons and mountain passes in the rocky mountains, including during snow storms. I have been happy with my Defenders in these conditions, but as I understand, the Crossclimates might be even better.
The reason I am a bit hesitant to switch is I hear Crossclimates are terrible off-road. I don't do much off road, but I occasionally will drive on unmaintained forest service roads and fire roads, some of which have huge rocks and signs saying they are unpassable by normal cars. I don't know if this counts as "off road" or not but I consider it off-road. I don't drive on this much, maybe under 100 miles a year, so I don't need great performance here, but I don't want to get stuck or have a blowout when I do it.
I would say my driving is 95% paved roads, 4% gravel, 1% offroad. A good chunk of that pavement driving is in snow on steep mountain roads.
I am set on Defender or Crossclimate, not interested in other recommendations, but I would much appreciate recommendations on one versus the other, as well as which specific variation of Defender or Crossclimate (2, TH, LTX, etc).
Thanks so much!

Neither is an "off road" or sever duty tire in that way. We don't see much snow in these parts, but a lot of mud, muck, and stinking ice.
From reviews both are very suitable for light action in inclement weather. Since you already use the Defender, it would be hard to say to stray. The Cross climate seems to be a little better, per reviews, in snow and the like, but not by much. The Defender seems to be a longer lived tire, but the upgrade to the Cross climate will have to shake down before judging.
Overall, the Defender really looks hard to beat for the use you describe in just about all the categories.
Good Luck.

Ask a Question