Going through oil fast

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am very frustrated. I have always been a honda owner. I needed a cheap but reliable car for commute to work 75 miles a day. I bought a 2011 Subaru forester with 84,000mi. I paid 10,900. After about 3 months I heard a ticking in engine. Next day turned to louder clicking. I checked oil and I saw none on the dipstick!! I did full oil change with 0w-30 mobile 1. 40 days later ticking starts again. I check. Almost no oil again. There are no spots in driveway. No excessive leak that I see. I did find some oil near bottom of block just behind radiator. I did a tune up and put in new spark plugs. There was oil on all the threads of the spark plugs.
Also the exhaust is very loud up near front of the engine near the manifold. It has all new exhaust from CAT back.
It is not overheating at all. There is a lot of road noise especially on highway. It almost sounds like rpm is too high at high speed. The sound reminds me of when you put aggressive snow tires or studs on and then drive on interstate when there is no snow and dry pavement.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Test to see if there is any contamination inside the oil filter - have a new one ready.
Carefully open the filter and look inside the pleats for any metal particles - if found stop right there.
Measure the oil pressure hot, note the value.
Measure the compression at all cylinders with the engine warm, note the values.
Look at each spark plug for oil contamination.
Another test is a "cylinder leak down" but it takes each combustion chamber to be in the combustion stroke.
If the engine is survivable, replace the PCV and attached hose if hardened. Test to see it is not plugged.
Look at the air filter and make sure it it clear and not obstructed

Ask a Question