Flat tow a crosstrek manual transmission?

Reaction score
I need a new tow dingy for my RV. I really like the manual transmission crosstrek. Is it flat towerable?
tks

I talked with dealers and then mechanics and all said No. So I gave up on the idea.

Got it. I am seeing people do it. Even found the hook up from Blue Ox and a few others this morning.

I was afraid to ask the dealership, expecting they would give the corporate answer, "no". Asking mechanics who know is a good approach.

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler, but it's 1,000 lbs more than my crosstrek.

Got it. I am seeing people do it. Even found the hook up from Blue Ox and a few others this morning.

I was afraid to ask the dealership, expecting they would give the corporate answer, "no". Asking mechanics who know is a good approach.

My wife has a Jeep Wrangler, but it's 1,000 lbs more than my crosstrek.
How did you flat toe and keep the steering wheel unlocked?

How did you flat toe and keep the steering wheel unlocked?
I haven't moved on this yet. Like was mentioned above, I talked to my local Subaru shop. The service manager and senior mechanic both recommended against flat towing. The manual says it can be done in an emergency, but they don't recommend it as a common practice. I think it's a CYA answer, but I'm watching others do this successfully. I'm still on the fence.

I haven't set up my wife's Jeep to tow yet either. I'd rather tow the lighter Crosstrek, but if I eventually give up on the idea I'll maybe set up the Jeep.

I'm still interested if anyone is successfully towing a Crosstrek.

-Dave

I have flat towed my Crosstreck but have to keep key on to keep steering wheel from locking. The battery got drained, so looking for an option to correct this. I was hoping someone would chime in and drop some info on this particular problem.

Towing AWD on the rear wheels = NO!
Towing CVT transmissions on rear wheels = NO!
Towing Automatic transmissions on rear wheels = NO!

Option. remove rear drive shaft from rear differential and have a front wheel dolly.

Towing with Key in ON position = Certainly NOT!

Nothing like destroying a a rolling vehicle network with the Key ON!

I’m talking about a manual transmission 2021 crossreck with no AWD, CVT. Done it twice but my battery gets drained.

2021 crossreck = Crosstrek
You are your own warranty company!

Make up and attach as set of 6 AWG Gauge cables. (One Red, one Black)
The cables MUST be 6 AWG Gauge and fused on the positive side cable. (30 A on both the towing and towed end)
The fuses will protect each vehicle from a potential fire and serious injuries to the occupants with the travelling public.
The charging system of the towing vehicle will maintain the voltage supply of the towed vehicle.
The current draw will be substantial at the towed vehicle, hence the 6 AWG Gauge cables.
The set of cables MUST be insulated and have a disconnect when the towing and towed vehicle are both STOPPED!
The set of cable MUST be tied and insulated safely at both vehicles.
The set of cables must be secure but have enough "free play" to have the towed vehicle turn or corner without any binding or stretching.
If unsure, hire a professional!
You are your own warranty company!

Attachments

• 30A Fuse.jpg
    30A Fuse.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 5
So, I want to thank everyone that answered to my question above. I just got done with a flat tow in neutral on my 2021 Subaru Crosstreck and it went fine. The car made it all the way home with no damage to motor or transmission like some of you said. All I had to do was click the ignition key forward one click and the steering wheel unlocks. The car tows great and did not have to start it but once a day to keep the battery charged other than that the Subaru tows great. I just got done driving 1900 miles towing my 2021 Subaru. Just an FYI for any future RV drivers that are looking for a car to tow.

Post your contact details with that type of information.
You have just become the warranty company for readers believing in >>> FAKE NEWS.

YOU ARE INCORRECT and IRRESPONSIBLE!

Ask a Question