Engine Seized on a 2018 Forester

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a perplexing issue with my 2018 Forester and hoping that someone has heard about this issue.

I was driving home and my engine suddenly shut off after a traffic light. I stopped at the intersection, started driving at the green light when I heard something like a dragging sound, I made it through the intersection when my engine just shut off. There was no warning light, nothing that indicated something was wrong. I tried to turn it back on and no luck. All of the indicator lights was on but the engine won't start. I checked the battery (just to be sure), it was fine. By the time, the dealership got my car, the battery was completely drain. At first, they thought the engine wouldn't start because of the battery (it didn't make sense to me when they explained it), but after they replaced the battery, the engine still didn't start. They hand cranked the engine and nothing. So, they wanted to take the engine apart to see what's going on, this is a $6k job and will probably be more once they figure out what's wrong with it.

Anybody out there has any insights or advise on what would be the best step forward?

Thanks!!

Hand cranked?
1) A known good battery needs to be installed
2) The alternator / drive belts need to be removed
3) choose 4 or 5
4) A starter that is still active (relay by-pass or direct power to the starter solenoid) should crank the engine
5) If it does not crank, a technician will be able to rotate the engine with a power bar / long ratchet and determine seizure
6) Compression test / cooling leakage test if possible
That is the correct procedure.

Yes, it was hand cranked. What they (dealer) told me is that they have to take the engine apart to determine if parts are broken. The crankcase has oil and no issue with starter. I asked about OBD-2 as well and apparently it wasn't on long enough to tell them any readings. From what I'm reading online. i.e. engine issue while vehicle in motion, maybe it's because of faulty PCV or faulty fuel pump?
In any case, I called Subaru of America on the issue and I believe they'll converse with the dealer to figure out what's goin on.

Ask a Question