2002 Forester with an inconsistent rattling sound from engine

Reaction score
At first I thought it was something in the timing belt area hitting against the timing cover. Ran the engine without the timing cover and still there, but I noticed that it seems like it was coming from further back - definitely right side of the engine in the head area, but could be further back toward the bell housing?

The engine runs strong, no lag. It idles fine. Oil is clean, no smoke. The rattle has no pattern to it - it lasts for a few seconds every few seconds, but there's no pattern other than it stopping and starting. Any suggestions on what it could be? It sounds like metal hitting plastic honestly. Originally i thought maybe a loose rod, but there's no pattern to the sound.

It's assumed the noise is while the engine is at idle and NOT driving it.
The transmission is the 4AT.
Crank noise?, no it would make noise at all times.
Cam noise? no it would make noise at all times. (unless there is an oil flow issue at the cylinder head)
Check the oil pressure, it should remain steady.
The differential is not rotating if the vehicle is parked.
Inspect the transmission oil quality.
An automotive stethoscope may help narrow this noise to a location.
Does the noise change in R to D positions? If it does, it may point to a defective transmission component.
Noise at the bell housing could be between the torque converter and crankshaft flex plate. (mounting the flex plate and torque converter) Was the starter removed or disturbed? Not in all cases, flex plates are known to crack.
There may also be unknown debris within the bell housing area.
No exhaust shield damage? The engine mount is in good condition?
Best and safest option is on a hoist to inspect deeper.

One more mention is the EVAP solenoid, it will "rattle" when the engine management commands it ON during a purge process.
It is consistent but not ON at all times.

Ask a Question