Choosing Subaru model and travel trailer -- how well does it work close to the weight limit?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a travel trailer and looking at different models. Maybe this would be a year or two out. I currently have a 2017 Forester, a base model with regular transmission, and it has a very small towing capacity, so I'm thinking that if I get a trailer I'd also get a new Subaru car with a greater towing capacity. For example, some of the Outbacks have a towing capacity greater than some of the trailers I've looked at. I assume I will need the vehicle towing capacity to be equal to or greater than the loaded weight of the trailer.

Question: if the trailer loaded weight is very close to the vehicle towing capacity, will I be just fine? Or will it not drive very well or become dangerous? I am not asking if my top speed will be high (I'm a pretty conservative driver), I just want it to be safe and work properly. I would also need to be able to drive up my driveway, which is at the steepest part a 14% grade. Though, I also own a tractor that could probably do that job if needed.

Do I just make sure capacity is greater than load? Or do I want a safety margin, too?

Thank you!!

There is a lot to know about load and trailer limits for any vehicle. There is information about how to determine each individual vehicles limits and I have attached a web page. Not all vehicles are designed to tow a load.

The stickers on the inside of the drivers door give you the numbers you need to do your calculations.

Many will say to only tow up to 80% of a vehicles maximum ability and I would agree that is a good rule to keep in mind.
Something to know about towing with an SUV with un-body construction is that the cabin will carry the noise from the trailer hitch and trailer clunking around. With a body on frame truck and the truck bed this isolates these sounds from the cabin for a much quieter ride.
Hope this information helps.

Ask a Question