Anyone else w/Tranny problems?

N

Nicolaas

My 05 OBW continues to drive poorly when the engine is cold. The transmission is so sluggish for the 1st few minutes. The automatic shifting is so poor and rough when I get out of the driveway. I am so sick of this problem. When Subaru looks at it, they say that they tested the transmission and it is fine.
This is the worst new vehicle that I have owned.
Any suggestions?

Did you leave it at the dealer so they could experience your complaint when the vehicle was cold??
My 05 OBW continues to drive poorly when the engine is cold. The transmission is so sluggish for the 1st few minutes. The automatic shifting is so poor and rough when I get out of the driveway. I am so sick of this problem. When Subaru looks at it, they say that they tested the transmission and it is fine.
Any suggestions?

Last time, I left it at 7:30am, they looked at it around 2:00pm.
Did you leave it at the dealer so they could experience your complaint when the vehicle was cold??
Any suggestions?

How long do you need to have the car not driven before it acts poorly? If I leave mine overnight if will not shift into 3 gear under light throttle until the transmission sensor reaches a predetermined temp. If I force it to shift before the temperatures is up it will but, it's not a smooth shift. Usually the transmission takes about 2-4 minutes to achieve a minimum working temperature. My 2000 Forester has been this way for 92,000 miles and I hope it don't change now or something is wrong. I wonder if it's not an engine issue instead of a transmission issue for you. A good Subaru technician should easily sort that out. I suggest a drive in another new Subaru to see if it's common to all. ed
Last time, I left it at 7:30am, they looked at it around 2:00pm.
Any suggestions?

It may be worth getting them to pick it up cold from your place. What's the
o/night temp where you park? Cheers

My '03 Forester started having a problem when it was about 2 years old
when the transmission temperature sensor went bad -- I think I had a
leak in the transmission gasket, which probably led to low transmission
fluid which probably led to the sendor going bad.

The Check Engine Light came on, and the code was for the automatic
transmission temperature sensor.

Symptoms for me were that the car would constantly shift up and down
when I was on the highway, but this was in the middle of the winter when
the high temp was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

The dealer fixed the sensor and replaced the tranmission gasket under
the regular drivetrain warranty.

So, it doesn't sound like you're having the same symptoms, but I wonder
if there's a sensor bad somewheres...

If it only does it when it's cold, you may have to leave the car overnight
at the dealer, and go for a drive with the service person the next morning,
that way the problem will show up if it only happens when the car is cold.
I think there may be some re-programming of the transmission module that the
dealer can do as well.
Is it possible that the transmission is starting in 2nd or 3rd gear when
cold, therefore seeming sluggish? Try putting the transmission at 1 when you
start off and shift to 2 and 3 as you drive along and see if it is better,
if it is then the shifting is off and needs to be looked at.

Ask a Question