2022 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid - Mileage

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought Subaru Crosstrek hybrid 2022 model, this is my first purchase of Hybrid car and wanted to understand the mileage and other questions like. Please do get frustrated of my questions i really want to understand.
1. how to get best MPG ? Like how should i drive to get best mpg as i think it automatically decides when to use EV mode or HEV mode and i cant change manually to Ev mode. any inputs on it will be helpful.

2. when to use save mode and charge mode, is it really worth to use charge mode when battery fully charged gives 17 mile and will consume all fuel and does driving in save mode consumes less fuel than charge mode ?

3. I recently charged my vehicle at public charging station which $0.40 / kwh and for full charge it was around $2.75 , which will give 17 miles in EV mode, can you pleas help me understand is it even worth spending $2 for plugin charge as if 1 gallon gas costs around 4.50 and gives around 36 to 38 miles per gallon. I am not really understanding how to get and best use of mpg. One thing to feel good is in EV mode its pollution free but still cost is coming around same.
Please let me know if its even worth to plugin charge in charging station as i dont have option to chargie in home as i stay in rental apt.

Thank you all in advance

Hi, I recently bought Subaru Crosstrek hybrid 2022 model, this is my first purchase of Hybrid car and wanted to understand the mileage and other questions like. Please do get frustrated of my questions i really want to understand.
1. how to get best MPG ? Like how should i drive to get best mpg as i think it automatically decides when to use EV mode or HEV mode and i cant change manually to Ev mode. any inputs on it will be helpful.

2. when to use save mode and charge mode, is it really worth to use charge mode when battery fully charged gives 17 mile and will consume all fuel and does driving in save mode consumes less fuel than charge mode ?

3. I recently charged my vehicle at public charging station which $0.40 / kwh and for full charge it was around $2.75 , which will give 17 miles in EV mode, can you pleas help me understand is it even worth spending $2 for plugin charge as if 1 gallon gas costs around 4.50 and gives around 36 to 38 miles per gallon. I am not really understanding how to get and best use of mpg. One thing to feel good is in EV mode its pollution free but still cost is coming around same.
Please let me know if its even worth to plugin charge in charging station as i dont have option to chargie in home as i stay in rental apt.

Thank you all in advance

Thank you all in advance

Hi
I have the same issue and questions. The car is making an average of 31 MPG. I do not see the difference with a non hybrid car. My understanding was that this car makes 90 MPG when combining the electric system and the battery. But I don’t see that.

Thanks

We are seeing exactly the same. We charge it all night and then after a very short drive the charge is gone and we get 31 mph. We took it in and they told us only fast driving recharges it, not street driving...so we needed to be on the freeway to keep refreshing the charge and get good mileage. Funny, I don't remember anyone telling us that at purchase. At no time have we gotten 90mph. This car feels like a scam to me.

Hello! Last week I traded-in my Prius Prime, plug-in hybrid MPGe 99, and I got in the 90's. So discouraged to see your comments. Absolutely feels like false advertising.
Crosstrekj, I was told that the e miles only work under 65mpg. The sales guy said his friend who typically only drives locally gets about 76 mpg. The next day, same story but 65 mpg.
What have you both learned/done?

Hi NewlyRural!

Have tried a few more charging routines, another family member is using it now for 95% highway and... we're still getting 31mpg. So we've learned that this is just a 31mpg car.

Would also add that the digital systems are glitchy... erratic unreliable behavior e.g. lovingly input phone contacts evaporate, overly-sensitive off-lane alerts can be turned off... but never actually stop beeping randomly. I thought we got a lemon until we saw the other posts.

I'm very sorry you traded in your Prius. That's a shame. Another family member has an older Prius and his mileage is still a thing of beauty. Unlike our little Subaru. Cute is no substitute for good.

According to my sales guy, you'll get more MPGe if you use this in the city, not hwy. Yes, I've noticed the overly-sensitive off-lane alerts. I need AWD for the winter, as the prius couldn't have made it up my driveway with the upcoming snow. Just checked and my prius is on the dealer's website. Wondering if I have any recourse? Any recommendations? Need to seat 5 & be AWD.

No suggestions but good luck! And... when we complained to Subaru service they said our low mileage was because we were driving city and it needs highway. Again... smells bad. :(

Rethinking this, but so busy with life. Still, totally scam, and I'm looking into what is possible.

When my wife and I checked into the hybrid, our understanding was the outstanding mileage only happened for short distances, 17 miles or less. As you drive over 17 miles before recharging the fuel economy goes down. I have not seen a Crosstrek hybrid on our dealers lot for years.

The more often you can plug in and recharge in your day to day driving the better your mpgE. Longer distances driven without a plug in recharge result in lower mpgE. I drive a lot and land at 37-42 mpgE. When I drive shorter distances to and from home I land in the 60-70 mpgE

Ask a Question