2020 Legacy XT Availability

Reaction score
My wife recently got the Onyx XT Outback and loves it as do I. I’ve decided to replace my 14 year old Legacy with a 2020 Legacy XT Limited. I will most likely go to the dealer and salesperson who sold us the Outback. However there are no XT Legacys at that dealer or any dealer in my region, Baltimore area. So I won’t be able to drive one any time soon which really isn’t necessary since I believe it would be similar to my wife’s Outback and probably better being a smaller, lighter vehicle. I’m curious if anyone here has purchased a 2020 XT or has looked for them. There seems to be a delayed delivery of these at least in my area.

I recently am a Subaru owner with us buying a 2020 Forester Limited with a nicely loaded package of options and we absolutely love the car. I have been looking at the Legacy Touring XT and really like it allot and cannot find any in stock anywhere in my region within 500+ miles (South West Florida) I called my local dealership yesterday and asked when they might have them on the lot to test drive and the response I got was to come in and drive a lower model they have and if I like it to order it. They said their sales volume of the Legacy were not high enough to have many on the lot. So This coming Saturday I'll be heading in to the Dealer to most likely Order one. I was told if I order any color other than white I would get it by mid March and white would be in by mid April. Worse comes to worse if I don't like it I will find another Subaru to buy. Hope this info helps.

Thanks. That’s my impression as well. The Outbacks are the big sellers so they don’t stock many Legacys. Going to the dealer tomorrow to order.

Well I placed an order for a Legacy Limited XT today. Unfortunately the delivery is being shown as May but could possibly come earlier as time goes on. I’m ok with waiting a bit but that does seem to be a little much. It seems Subaru is just not making many of these, my dealer had only one or two of the non XT Legacys in stock.

Congrats. I'm anxiously waiting on Saturday so I can go and order mine. But I will test drive a lower Legacy model if they have it in stock. Maybe a Cross Trek as well just cover all bases.

Ordered mine on Saturday. Will be in by April 1st ish I was told. When I was there on Saturday there was Zero Legacys on the lot. Also they said in a couple of weeks I would get an email with info to be able to track the progress the order from build to delivery. Looking forward to getting that email.

I’m praying for that email. But nothing yet. It’s only been a week though. I am curious why there are so few Legacys being produced.

I was told because they are pushing out their main sellers and most popular models , Forester, Cross Trek & Outback. Now that the Legacy has the same platform people will catch on to it and it will become way more popular from what the Sales Manager told me.

Still No email as of yet. I did talk to my sales person and she told me that its still looking like first week of April for mine to come in. It could have come in sooner but with the Corona Virus parts shipping had been delayed. She also told me another person ordered a WRX STI and that has been significantly delayed because of Corona since that is built in Japan. My guess the email wont be sent until the car is in the lineup for manufacturing. Anything on your end?

Still No email as of yet. I did talk to my sales person and she told me that its still looking like first week of April for mine to come in. It could have come in sooner but with the Corona Virus parts shipping had been delayed. She also told me another person ordered a WRX STI and that has been significantly delayed because of Corona since that is built in Japan. My guess the email wont be sent until the car is in the lineup for manufacturing. Anything on your end?
Nothing yet. Still listed as May. If the corona virus is impeding parts supply then I wouldn’t expect it before the summer. They’ll be 2021s by then

I came very close to test driving a WRX STI that is on the lot this past weekend and buying it if I liked it but was convinced to wait till I drive the Legacy when it comes in. As of now my dealer had Zero Legacy's on lot of any model so I can't even drive the lower model to get a feeling for it. I'll wait another Month but if there is further delay I may just jump ship and buy a WRX STI. Hope it doesn't come to that. I'll keep you posted as info comes in.

I’ve been following an Outback forum and apparently Subaru is no longer taking Outback orders, that may also apply to the Legacys. I haven’t received any updates on my order but I’m thinking it will probably be summer if they don’t cancel it altogether.

Most likely they are not taking Outback orders is because they are pumping them out as fast as they can with the popular packages and don't have time to do special orders with them. As far as the Legacys' go the Touring XT's are very difficult to find if you can at all. The other models are common enough to have a couple on the lot for inventory purposes. I'd like to find out exactly how many Touring XT models have been produced for the 2020 year model. I would think it is less than triple digits since Subaru has been concentrating on pushing out the Outback, Forster & Cross Treks since they are their main sellers. If they cancel my order Ill just buy a WRX STI for sure but hope it doesn't come to that. Only time will tell what will happen. I have roughly 4 more weeks until mine is expected to show so we shall see.

Well I got a phone call from my Sales person on Tuesday of last week. she says They have a Touring XT in but it wasn't mine. It was another customers that had ordered it. When it came in they changed their minds about purchasing so my awesome sales person gave me a call and asked if I wanted to come take a look at it and drive and/or buy it since mine wasn't even on the boards to start building. Long story short I bought it! It was Gray instead of the Blue and it had several options added on that I did not want so they gave them to me for free. Also I ordered a spoiler from the Sport edition and I wasn't charged for that either! I have had it almost a week now and totally love the car! it was worth the wait. When I was at the dealer for the rear spoiler install this past Saturday I was told Subaru had totally stopped production due to this Virus mess we are all in. Depending on how long the shutdown is they may nor produce any more 2020's and jump right into the 2021's since they change out the Dies usually around Aug for the next production year model ramp up. I got lucky because who ever ordered this one decided not to buy, but not sure if anyone else will be getting any more 2020's in stock at all.
z7P2fwzTB63XeUQn7

Thanks for posting. Enjoy the car! My order was slated for May but who knows what their situation is. I expect others are rethinking purchasing if their orders come in. If things truly look like they’re going into the toilet I might cancel mine as well. But I had set aside the money to purchase it, and if things look hopeful I’ll go ahead with it but it may turn out to be a 2021. I wouldn’t expect many if any changes.

I took delivery today of my Touring XT out here in California. The order was placed on March 2nd and estimated to arrive early May. After contacting SoA a couple weeks after the order, they gave me an ETA of April 6. I was worried with the factory shutdown for the initial week then extended, that it was going to be delayed. I got a call from my sales guy this morning and took the rest of the day off from that point to enjoy my new car.

During the factory shutdown, you can still contact SoA to get information on your order. You'll either need your VON or VIN to look it up.

4A8C61FA-2123-4C12-862F-37CCEF6E4056.jpeg

My order was placed January 20 but was shown a May delivery. I had emailed Subaru using this (e-mail address removed) address with the VON about a month ago but never received a reply. How did you contact them?

I called (800) 782-2783. Provided my VON and dealer ID/name. They were able to provide me with a VIN number and ETA. While you're there, if you already own a Subaru, it wouldn't hurt to ask for the $500 Owner Loyalty coupon. You may need the VIN of the current one you own.

Thanks I’ll try that. I’m ok with it coming at the original expected date in May. At this point I’m waffling a bit at spending this kind of money right now. But I’m driving a 14-15 year old Legacy and I don’t want to push that to the point of running into a costly repair so I’m most likely going ahead with the purchase when it comes.

Ask a Question