2020 Legacy Blind Spot Monitor Issues

Reaction score
The Blind Spot Monitor indicator on the Passenger side does not come on until the a car in the adjacent lane is right next to our car. Almost scary behavior. The Driver Side Blind Spot Monitor works perfectly. The Dealer claims that the passenger side Monitor is designed that way by Subaru which absolutely does not make sense. Anyone in this forum has encountered this issue?

Your dealer is full of you-know-what. Sounds like they truly don't know what they're talking about, or they just don't want to have to deal with fixing it. Ours works just fine. Both sides work identically, and give plenty of warning of a vehicle in the blind spot.

Thank you so much for your response. Subaru Corporate Customer Service is almost useless. They just ask me to take it back to the dealer. In addition, when using the Adaptive Cruise Control with lane Centering/Assist, the vehicle continuously zigzags even on a straight highway, making me very nervous that it will collide with a vehicle in the adjacent lane. Wondering if this is a design issue with Subaru in general, or is it just our vehicle. Happy Holidays.

In addition, when using the Adaptive Cruise Control with lane Centering/Assist, the vehicle continuously zigzags even on a straight highway, making me very nervous that it will collide with a vehicle in the adjacent lane. Wondering if this is a design issue with Subaru in general, or is it just our vehicle. Happy Holidays.

Sounds like your car has issues. Our lane centering works fine. Hardly any zig-zagging at all. It's pretty smooth.

I agree, we have a Forester 2021 T which doesn’t exhibit any of these anomalies, there is an issue in one of the sensors quite possibly the ones in the rear bumper, regarding Blindspot Monitoring. Did you check to see if someone may have hit you while parked? This doesn’t have to be obvious visual damage either. I believe lane centering is primarily based on input of the forward facing cameras. There are others here much more familiar with this than I, but neither issue reported is proper behavior and the dealer service dept is completely full of excrement!. Begin documenting every thing you are told by the servicing dealer about these issues. Assuming you are under warranty, you are not limited to any one Subaru dealer for warranty service. are mentioned

The Blind Spot Monitor indicator on the Passenger side does not come on until the a car in the adjacent lane is right next to our car. Almost scary behavior. The Driver Side Blind Spot Monitor works perfectly. The Dealer claims that the passenger side Monitor is designed that way by Subaru which absolutely does not make sense. Anyone in this forum has encountered this issue?
I'm not sure if this is your situation, however, I've noticed that the Blind Spot Monitoring System will also detect how fast a car is coming up along side yours. If it's coming up really fast, the BSMS light goes on sooner and if the car just barely overtakes you slowly, that blind spot warning light comes on later. At least that's how it works on the driver's side. I think the passenger side is programmed differently. Less of a warning and more of a 'don't change lanes right now, there's a car in the right lane.'

Thank you so much for your response. Subaru Corporate Customer Service is almost useless. They just ask me to take it back to the dealer. In addition, when using the Adaptive Cruise Control with lane Centering/Assist, the vehicle continuously zigzags even on a straight highway, making me very nervous that it will collide with a vehicle in the adjacent lane. Wondering if this is a design issue with Subaru in general, or is it just our vehicle. Happy Holidays.
I think they're designed that way. You really have to grip that wheel and keep it centered. Seems like the lane centering feature is a little too sensitive for most drivers. I'm still getting used to it on my Legacy that I just got last week.

Ask a Question