2 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves open when removing the head.

Reaction score
Close to 2 years ago I replaced the head gaskets on my wife's 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i. Approximately 6 months afterwards the passenger side head started leaking oil on top of the engine. Did what lots of other people do and just keep putting oil in it till I had a chance to rip it down again. Wife had to have surgery this past May and would not be able to drive for a period of time. I figured while I was home with her I could get it done. Things happened and I still haven't finished it. I never did find the source of the leak. I did notice that the head bolts were all the same length. This is a non turbo 2.5. The bolts I bought were supposed to be Subaru OE bolts off of Amazon from the Subaru store. 2 things happened Amazon said they fit and Subaru OE parts warehouse said they would fit (missed the little part that said turbo). Checked warehouse first then searched Amazon and eBay for them. Anyways I lined up the timing marks again and brought it all up to TDC. Upon taking off the driver's side head 2 intake valves on cylinder 2 and 2 exhaust valves on cylinder 4 are open. I took the valve rocker assembly off and the valves closed. When I put them back on the start to open again. I had read that it could be due to valve adjustment. I readjusted the valves all the way and it still opens them. When I did the head gaskets last time the car had 150k on it. I replaced all the valves and just about all the sensors. Only sensors I didn't replace were the 2 oil switches on both heads and the variable valves on both heads. When the valve rocker is removed the valves are sealed and no leaks. I'm not sure what to do about this issue. So here are my questions:

1. What to do about the valves that don't/aren't closing all the way?

2. As I said I replaced all the valves when I did the head gaskets last time could the camshafts be on the wrong heads?

I noticed well some issues on the cam where in 2 spots one in front of the rear bearing a small indent on the lobe that nothing rides on and the same on the round love in front of the middle bearing some chipping but nothing rides on that. The car now has about 220k on it. Not sure how much longer we will keep the car. Maybe a year or so. Any help would be great.
IMG_20230707_183217746_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230707_183217746_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230707_183231570_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230707_183231570_HDR.jpg

This is all an assumption and generally capture the VIN to directly locate repair information.
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
EJ253 SOHC - Correct?

Check the VVL rocker arm system for cylinder 2. When the small spring is left out, the VVL pin can move causing high lift on both valves of that cylinder.

Identify the model via image.
Identify the cylinder head via repair instruction
You should have a matching service manual

Attachments

• 2007 Impreza.png
    2007 Impreza.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Valve Rocker Assembly.pdf
    148.7 KB · Views: 12
This is all an assumption and generally capture the VIN to directly locate repair information.
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
EJ253 SOHC - Correct?

Check the VVL rocker arm system for cylinder 2. When the small spring is left out, the VVL pin can move causing high lift on both valves of that cylinder.

Identify the model via image.
Identify the cylinder head via repair instruction
You should have a matching service manual
Thank you for the response. Yes you are correct with the car. I do have the Subaru manual for that car. My problem is and I could be just not following you here but the Intake valves on cylinder 2 and the exhaust valves on cylinder 4 open when I torque down the rocker assembly.

If the engine is out of the body, start again with the timing belt removed (set to "0") and recheck the rockers arms via service manual.
Another thought some people miss out on. If the engine timing belt is installed to factory specifications, turning the crankshaft with a bar and socket does rotate the cams in their correct positions (4 stroke cycle) to open and close depending on the piston positions.

Engine is still in the car. Only the heads are off. Driver side head has valve rocker assembly off. When I put it on and torque it down exhaust valves on cylinder 4 open and intake valves on cylinder 2 open. I've done many head gaskets on Subaru's and never seen this. The valves don't appear to be bent. I am beginning to question if the camshaft is good or not. Maybe twisted? From TDC on that head you turn the cam to 3 o'clock position then all the valves close.

All that depends on the position the cam shaft is in. A correct timing belt installation and rotating the engine will allow the correct valves to open and close in the correct sequence.

All that depends on the position the cam shaft is in. A correct timing belt installation and rotating the engine will allow the correct valves to open and close in the correct sequence.
I'm not quite following you here. My issue doesn't concern the timing belt. The head is sitting on my work bench. The marks on the cam pulley and timing cover lined up (not the arrow on the cam pulley as that is for valve adjustment) Intake valves on cylinder 2 are open and exhaust valves on cylinder 4 are open. If I were to spin the cam to the 3 o'clock position all valves would close. I can go through and put the head on make sure all marks are perfectly aligned, put the belt on and rotate the engine twice have all marks lined up again and have those valves opened.

Crankshaft turns twice the speed of the cam shafts.
Maybe you should use these images with the engine partially assembled.
As the engine rotates from 0 Deg, follow the graph to see the correct valve openings at the the specific illustrated Deg in the graph.
Reusing gaskets is frowned upon.

Attachments

• Firing order specs.png
    Firing order specs.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Firing order Subaru.jpg
    Firing order Subaru.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Graphed Firing Order.png
    Graphed Firing Order.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 19
Crankshaft turns twice the speed of the cam shafts.
Maybe you should use these images with the engine partially assembled.
As the engine rotates from 0 Deg, follow the graph to see the correct valve openings at the the specific illustrated Deg in the graph.
Reusing gaskets is frowned upon.
You lost me. First I never said anything about reusing gaskets. Secondly I'm not sure what this has to do with 4 valves across 2 cylinders being open. I understand the crank rotates twice as fast. The heads are off the car and the valve rocker assembly is off the problem head. Cam spins free. Only time all valves are closed is when passenger head is at 12 and drivers head is at 3. This is true even with the belt off. I can't put the head back on with these valves open. I have to adjust the valve lash. The exhaust valve lash is adjusted to the point where the rocker is on the valve and when torqued down the valve still opens.

To adjust the valves, each cam lobe (hi point) is pointed opposite or away from the rocker. The cam needs to be rotated for each set of valves that requires an adjustment.
At every rotation of the cam, a set of valves will open or close.
Look at these:

Correct cams on correct side?
Cam sprocket lineup with cams keys are not damaged?
Cam sprockets on correct side?

To adjust the valves, each cam lobe (hi point) is pointed opposite or away from the rocker. The cam needs to be rotated for each set of valves that requires an adjustment.
At every rotation of the cam, a set of valves will open or close.
Look at these:

Correct cams on correct side?
Cam sprocket lineup with cams keys are not damaged?
Cam sprockets on correct side?
I'm not sure on the cams on being the right side. When I did these heads 2 years ago the valves were closed on all cylinders when rebuilt. I have not taken the other head apart. Last time I replaced the valves and valve guides. The valve guides are in the place where they are supposed to be. I guess tomorrow I will look up the springs and see if they are the same between exhaust and Intake. Tuesday when it is done raining I will put the head back together and take a picture so people can see what I am talking about and maybe get a solution to this problem.

Ask a Question