'04 WRX NC Smog issue

Reaction score
I bought an '04 Impreza last week, I've been working on getting the bugs worked out and getting it on the road. I took it for an inspection (NC emissions and safety), they did not pass it due to it not having enough miles on it due to the previous owner having the battery disconnected while he had it listed for sale. No big deal, or so I thought... I have been driving it over 150 miles now, highway, normal city, country, stop-and-go and everything cleared except for Evap System and O2 Sensor, my reader is saying that "Vehicle has not yet completed this test". Do I need to just keep driving it or is there anything I should be checking? I have attached a pic of my BlueDriver Scan. If all else fails, I just wait the month and a half and it'll just drop down to needing a safety inspection due to it being 20+ years old.

Attachments

• _smogcheck_2023_10_12_11-55-14.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
I bought an '04 Impreza last week, I've been working on getting the bugs worked out and getting it on the road. I took it for an inspection (NC emissions and safety), they did not pass it due to it not having enough miles on it due to the previous owner having the battery disconnected while he had it listed for sale. No big deal, or so I thought... I have been driving it over 150 miles now, highway, normal city, country, stop-and-go and everything cleared except for Evap System and O2 Sensor, my reader is saying that "Vehicle has not yet completed this test". Do I need to just keep driving it or is there anything I should be checking? I have attached a pic of my BlueDriver Scan. If all else fails, I just wait the month and a half and it'll just drop down to needing a safety inspection due to it being 20+ years old.
I went back and looked, there is a cat, and the downstream O2 has a non-fouler, would that cause the O2 to not be ready? Maybe a bad O2? Not sure if maybe I have a tune and the tuner removed these tests; from my research this seems to be a common thing to do. How would I know if there is a tune installed?

Ask a Question