04 Forrester Head Warp, blown gasket...AGAIN!!!

Reaction score
I desperately need help from someone MORE knowledgeable than my current mechanics. (yes, I am looking for a new one).

1. Driving: engine quits, and I pull over, and steam! Filled it with Dollar Store drinkin' water, and drove home 12 miles, never letting it get hot again (pulling over and filling).

2. Took to local garage, where they replaced HEAD GASKET, and MACHINED the HEAD.

3. Drove three days. seemed OK. Fortunately, I was looking at the temp gauge when it rose from 2/3 up to RED IN A FEW SECONDS!

4. Drove to same garage where they replaced the THERMOSTAT ( DUH!! Shame on them and me for not doing this the first time!). Gasket was blown AGAIN, and they replaced at no cost to me....

5. Three days..... watching gauge like a paranoid schizophrenic, keeping gallons of water ready...All seems OK. THEN I see the needle creep up past 2/3 and keep going... I pullover, loosen the cap, (boiling and getting pushed out under pressure, as before) and pour water in - it take less than a quart!

6. got 'er home with one more stop-and -fill.

A. Have I blown the gasket again? Warped the head again? Why is it OK for three days? Wanna buy a SKRUBARU?
THANKS for ANY ADVICE Whatsoever...

Got to make sure the coolant system has no air and is full through-out the engine and heater core. Use a tall funnel made to fit the radiator neck and fill while engine is running until the thermostat opens; you'll see it begin swirling. Do this until no more air bubbles. If air bubbles continue and get worse when engine is warmed up and or under higher rpm; then most likely a blown head gasket, or warped, or cracked head.

Ask a Question