Worth Fixing a Head Gasket+Other Things on a 2009?

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 2009 Subaru Forester X Premium, 2.5L. I bought it new and it's been an amazing car over the last 15 years. That said, it currently has 137k miles on it and we seem to have reached the "regular repairs" stage of the game. We've recently discovered the oil was leaking (never got a low oil warning and it was out by the time I saw the oil on the ground and checked it), so we took it in to get it looked at. The repair shop has advised us it needs $4,921 worth of repairs ($1400 worth of parts, the rest is labor - head gasket, belts, water pump, air conditioning service, etc.). Every time a repair has come up over the last 2 years, I've told myself it was the "last one for a while" and now this.

So, it was recommended to me that I post on this forum to get some opinions on whether it makes sense to repair or if we should just cut our losses and trade it in and get a new vehicle. Anyone have any good recommendations and thoughts on which direction I should go?

Thank you in advance! I don't want to continue to throw money at my car, but I also don't really want a new car payment either...

Ask a Question