Will RainX bug remover windshield washer fluid interfere with EyeSight?

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Subaru Ascent. For the past several years, I had been using RainX Bug Remover windshield washer fluid. So far, bugs seem to REALLY be sticking to my windshield, using what came stock. They are stuck to the point where I am worried about using the amount of pressure necessary to remove them. On my old vehicle, they didn't seem to stick like this. I'm wondering if it was the windshield washer fluid.

I was told, at the dealership, that using RainX would interfere with the EyeSight system. Would this including using RainX windshield washer fluid?

If so, is there a good windshield washer fluid you all could recommend for bug remover and for low temperatures? I really don't like using the stock stuff they put in at the dealership. Thanks for the help.

RainX hasn't interfered with the eyesight on mine. I turned it off, because it feels dangerous and wants to fuss at me after 15 seconds of not fighting with it.It did it before the application and just the same after. Dealer says it is in "spec", so won't adjust it, if they even can. I can't see how the washer fluid would interfere unless it is thick and covering a lens, but don't see that as a problem either.
Lane departure still works fine.
YMMV

RainX hasn't interfered with the eyesight on mine. I turned it off, because it feels dangerous and wants to fuss at me after 15 seconds of not fighting with it.It did it before the application and just the same after. Dealer says it is in "spec", so won't adjust it, if they even can. I can't see how the washer fluid would interfere unless it is thick and covering a lens, but don't see that as a problem either.
Lane departure still works fine.
YMMV
Sorry to hear that. I really like the lane keep assist feature, and was afraid of messing it up.

Sorry to hear that. I really like the lane keep assist feature, and was afraid of messing it up.
The lane departure function is fine. The lane centering, or what ever, is the culprit. It hugs the center line and randomly drifts toward oncoming traffic. I thought it was just me, then the wife commented on it wondering what I was doing. Along with constant beeping because I haven't fought with it in the last few seconds.
Yep, time to go. I think I would enjoy it as well, if it worked right. If the way it works is "right", then some refinement is needed. Dealer is failing the sniff test at the moment of issues, so we'll see how it works out.

The owner's manual for my 2016 Outback says that washer fluids that leave a film to provide a hydro-phobic surface (RainX) will interfere with the Eyesight system.

The owner's manual for my 2016 Outback says that washer fluids that leave a film to provide a hydro-phobic surface (RainX) will interfere with the Eyesight system.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it left a film or not. Do you know of anything decent that doesn't leave a film?

Ask a Question