Which key fob?

Reaction score
I just bought a 2024 subaru crosstrek on saturday. It came with two key fobs. I put one on my keyring and I left the other safely in my house. I remote started my car this morning and when I went to leave i had a red flashing light on my dash. It looked like a car with a lock on it. My car would not go into drive so I so I shut it off and restarted it. The car didn't start but the dash in everything lit up like it had. I messed around for about ten minutes. So finally, I came in the house and got the other key fob and took it to the car, and then my car started. So my question is, do I have to carry both fobs for my car to start? I don't understand why I hadto have both of them for the car to start. Help

Did you do the remote start with one fob and then carry the other to the car? The car knows the difference, so you can't mix and match. You don't need to have both fobs with you. But you need to use one or the other each time you drive.

I started with one but went and got the other one. So I just need to put one away and just use one?

I started with one but went and got the other one. So I just need to put one away and just use one?
You can use either one, but only one at a time. If you start the car with one, continue using that one until you shut it off. then the next time you can use the other one if you want. If you have seat memory or driver profiles, those will be tied to one fob or the other, so that's a reason to stick with one or the other. For us, I have one fob and my wife has the other. All our settings are tied to our fob, so we each just stick with one and don't switch off.

Ask a Question