Does reporgramming key Fob invalidate old keys?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting conflicting stories based on research on web and folks I talk to at dealerships and lock smiths. Bottom line, I have a 2015 Subaru Legacy with push to start and one of my Fobs was stolen and having a stolen fob out there worries me.

Ideally I get a replacement fob, reset entire immobilizer system and replace physical lock cylinders and cut new physical keys. But this is quoted at well over a thousand dollars.

So the compromise is to by an after market replacement fob and reprogram the 2 fobs I have to new codes (e.g., stolen key could be used to physically enter car but not start it). But I am told 2 stories, 1) that reprogramming a new key puts exact same codes on new key meaning the stolen key would still work and 2) reprogram uses new codes invalidating stolen key.

Option 2 is acceptable to me at about $200 and some change but only if this is what indeed happens. I don't want to pay $200 and still have a vulnerability with stolen key.

Can anyone way in with ground truth?

Also, called a couple vehicle locksmiths and none of them said they could take it on, does this mean my only recourse is the dealership?

Thanks. New to forum and first time poster.

Ask a Question