The "CEL, EYESIGHT. Flashing Brake Light" quandry

Reaction score
As regards my 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited with Eyesight--A search of the internet makes it clear that this is a known problem, but, I can't seem to find where it has been resolved. This first happened back in July when I was on a trip to St. Louis. I pulled over in Owensboro, KY and whipped out my trusty owner's manual (as suggested by the information center), and read what to do. I complied. It said the problem might solve itself after cycling the starting sequence -- it didn't. The nearest Subaru Dealer was in Evansville, IN. It was on the way, so, I headed in that direction (the problem not seeming to be causing any problems). I stopped in Henderson, KY to gas up before going to Evansville and, after re-starting the car, all of the lights disappeared. Obviously, I was elated. We went on to St. Louis, and drove around town a few times (we were there for a week). Drove all the way back home (From St. Louis to Oneida, TN and never had the problem again...until last week. After a search, I found that replacing the gas cap may help. I figured, "what the heck, that's a cheap fix." I replaced the gas cap. No dice. I also saw where replacing the battery (low voltage may cause the problem). Still not a fix. Now, according to what I've been reading, I will have to take it to a Subaru dealership to have the EMC "re-programmed." So, my questions: A) Has anyone successfully had this problem resolved by a "re-programming?" I'm an hour+ away from my nearest Subaru Dealer and would rather not spend my time and money if I have little chance of success. B) Since this seems to have been a known problem since around 2011, why hasn't this been solved? I'm a Subaru lover and a Subaru Ambassador -- I've owned six Subarus without disappointment. Add to that, I've just made the next-to-last payment on this particular vehicle (I still have a '92 SVX with only 120K miles and a 2001 Outback Legacy Sedan with over 280K). Please, please, please help me out. I have a function coming up in two weeks (my 50th High School Reunion) two hours away and would love to make that trip with confidence. Many thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

Ask a Question