Replacing audio and keeping backup camera

Reaction score
Yes, I searched and posted replies to others asking, but it appears there may not be any adapter to replace the audio head unit without losing the backup camera. Is anyone aware of anything changing in the third party car audio market?

Have you checked Crutchfield. Put in the headunit you are interested in and the make model year and it will tell you what featues are supported. Even if you have to add a 3rd party camera they are super cheap. I upgraded my 2017 Legacy and was able to use the existing backup camera.

Have you checked Crutchfield. Put in the headunit you are interested in and the make model year and it will tell you what featues are supported. Even if you have to add a 3rd party camera they are super cheap. I upgraded my 2017 Legacy and was able to use the existing backup camera.

Everything at Crutchfield states the backup camera cannot be used. How did you keep yours?

Everything at Crutchfield states the backup camera cannot be used. How did you keep yours?
For my 2017 Legacy I installed an Alpine ILX-507 Headunit That unit supports a front and rear camera and recognizes the Subaru backup camera. I also used the IDataLink Maestro RR unit with the appropriate cabling for steering wheel controls and OBD engine data. A couple years ago I put a Sony head unit in my wife's 2013 Imprezza that did not come with a factory installed camera so I added a camera from Crutchfield, I think it was around $30. Both systems work great.

For my 2017 Legacy I installed an Alpine ILX-507 Headunit That unit supports a front and rear camera and recognizes the Subaru backup camera. I also used the IDataLink Maestro RR unit with the appropriate cabling for steering wheel controls and OBD engine data. A couple years ago I put a Sony head unit in my wife's 2013 Imprezza that did not come with a factory installed camera so I added a camera from Crutchfield, I think it was around $30. Both systems work great.
Thank you!!! This is more info than I have been able to find. It has been some years since I replaced my own unit, like 30 lol, are mounting kits still needed as well?

Haha yeah it's been about 30 years for me too! I did my wife's impreza two years ago and then just did my legacy. Here is what you do:
1. Go to this link and specify your make, year and model: https://www.crutchfield.com/m_266150/Car-Stereos.html
2. Select a compatible head unit.
3. It will then show you the cabling you need with an option for Crutchfield to pre-wire the cable harness for you.
4. It will show you which interface unit you need to purchase.
5. Once you order they will create a build doc PDF for you and send it to you

If your not clear what features you will gain or loose call them. Theyb have great tech support.
These installs are much more complicated than they were 30 years ago, but you get a lot more features.

Ask a Question