Heavy Oil Consumption with 2014 Forester

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Subaru Forester that is burning a quart of oil nearly every 1,000 miles. The dealership has begun an oil consumption test. Once the dealership is satisfied that there is a problem (and they say a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is a definite problem), then they will replace the short engine block under a warranty that has been extended by Subaru for this kind of problem. Has anyone else had this trouble? If you had the short engine block replacement, did that stop the oil consumption? I love this car, and it's been highly reliable, but the heavy oil consumption greatly concerns me.

I have the same problem and am waiting to see if Subaru will fix my car.
Hope someone else posts.

Be careful how the dealership handles it.
The local dealer hear will put 5w-30 in a car that uses 0w-20.
The thicker oil will of course slow down if not stop the oil burning.
But this is NOT a fix for this issue!
Today's cars are using thinner oil viscosity because the engine tolerances are much tighter.
Running this viscosity long term will damage the engine because several parts will starve from lack of lubrication.

Be careful how the dealership handles it.
The local dealer hear will put 5w-30 in a car that uses 0w-20.
The thicker oil will of course slow down if not stop the oil burning.
But this is NOT a fix for this issue!
Today's cars are using thinner oil viscosity because the engine tolerances are much tighter.
Running this viscosity long term will damage the engine because several parts will starve from lack of lubrication.

Good news. The 2013 Subaru Forester will get a short block under the new extended warranty from Subaru. There was a Class Action Suit which helped owners having the oil consumption problem. I’ll keep you folks posted.

that is the issue with my 2012 forester. every 2 wks I have to add 1 qt of oil. I've taken it back to the dealer
while it still had warranty and their answer to me was it was standard oil usage on subaru forester. I will go to an
independant mechanic and let him do the oil consumption testing and document it, so I can send it to subaru and
hand a copy to the dealership. What do you folks think?

Yes. Good idea! You need to lean on your dealer to do right by you. The engine has a design flaw... Subaru needs to give you a short block.
It is awful that the dealership ignored you while under warranty. Subaru needs to replace the short block free and not give you a hard time. Talk to the district manager. My car is in the shop for this replacement... said a week to complete. Yeah, make a stink. Cite the class action suit. Good luck!

I have a 2015 outback that's been using a quart of oil every 1000 miles too. How do I go about getting Subaru to fix it?

Yes. Good idea! You need to lean on your dealer to do right by you. The engine has a design flaw... Subaru needs to give you a short block.
It is awful that the dealership ignored you while under warranty. Subaru needs to replace the short block free and not give you a hard time. Talk to the district manager. My car is in the shop for this replacement... said a week to complete. Yeah, make a stink. Cite the class action suit. Good luck!
Wow Thank you I will get on the horn ASAP.

Look up the Subaru Class Action suit. On classlawgroup.com. Look at the settlement to see if your car is covered. Good luck.

Clark- I don’t think the VIN # matters any more as you definitely have an oil consumption problem. Under the new extended warranty for this problem, your car should be covered.
Did your dealer give you a problem?

Check this site as has a link to settlement-oppositelick.kinja.com. Under the 2016 update, there is a link to settlement.
There may be more updates as more models and dates have been added.

Ok, update. The 2013 Subaru Forester has its new short block. It took 2 weeks to get car back, but we were given a loaner. The car has more pep after new block.
Anyway, based on all the testimonials here, age of car, etc., the car had to go! We just didn’t like the whole craziness of oil consumption and well, all the crap.
So now we are moving on. Thanks for all the help in this matter. The forum is great. Fight the good fight. Good luck with all your Subarus.

Ask a Question