General First Timer Questions- 2015 Forester

Reaction score
Coming up on 50k miles and ready for 1st set of brakes and tires:
On brakes:
- Was thinking about aftermarket pads in ceramic. Have had lot of luck with them on other cars.
- Any comments on that switch? My expectation is longer service life than 50k
- Anyone recommended source for the ceramic pads?

On pad replacement: Rotors look good, so thinking just pads
- I have seen youtube videos showing you can just push the caliper pistons back in place with a C-clamp...like cars of old - true?
- Lots of experience with VW TDIs - they require a special tool and the pistons have to be screwed back into the open position
- Comments?

On tires:
- They might make it a little longer; not down to the wear marks yet. Hope to get another 5-10k out of them.
- OEM tire is the 225/60 17 Geolander G91; don't mind replacement in kind
- Any other tire recommended by the group?

Thanks in advance...mcc

I agree with the aftermarket pads, I am waiting for 50K as well but I am going with rotors, calipers, and pads from rockauto performance on my Fozzy.

As for tires, I run Centennial on all of my cars from my local Discount Tire center. I am running some 80K tires right now that ride amazing, no road noise and have done well off-road to get me to my favorite fishing spot.

PM me if your interested in changing over to a full synthetic oil as well for your Subaru that can run up to 25K between changes.

Thanks for the reply Ozark. Glad I didn't need a timely answer, I guess these cars don't have much to talk about. Couldn't wait 2 months, so made some decisions.
- Put American made Wagner ceramic pads on. Only rear pads were worn enough for replacement; specifically inboard pads, so replaced all four rear pads.
- Did not change tires yet, but based on experience with a RAV4, bought Pep Boys store brand made by Cooper and have them standing by
- Been using Amsoil for years. Have it in the 2014 Suburu, and changing at 25K intervals while chaninging Eo filters annually - only putting about 10k on a year....
- Have you had good experience with rockauto?....I mean quality parts?
Thanks again.

Haha, I am new to the forum and I am finding that the post gets to read a lot but not many comments. :)

Glad to hear your an Amsoil user! Been a dealer for a while so I am glad to hear when people are happy with the product.

I have used rock auto on multiple occasions when I didn't need the part right away and my local parts store cost more. Shipping was fast, 3 to 4 days usually.

Ask a Question