External CD Player For New Foresters

Reaction score
I am in the market for my first Subaru vehicle, a Forester Wilderness. There are only a handful of 2023 leftovers near me and I don't like the configuration of options. I am also disappointed that the 2024 models no longer have a CD player.

If I am going to get the Harmon Kardon sound system, I want the music I listen to to be at least CD quality.

The quality of music played through a Bluetooth connection is awful because Bluetooth compresses files. Hi-Rez streaming or playing lossless files through my phone is complicated and costly.

Does anyone know if an external, portable CD player can work if hooked up to the sound system? They are attached through the USB port, so they are not wireless. I think they would work through Android Auto. That would be the most convenient way to listen to CDs (lossless music) in the 2024 Forester Wilderness I am going to purchase in the coming months, and it would justify having the Harmon Kardon sound system.

Hello, While the newer model doesn't have a CD player, Pretty sure it has a port for plugging in a USB stick. Using high bit rate MP3s, you are very unlikely to hear any difference at all in a cars noisy environment and likely not when parked either. Perhaps with headphones. Also I have my entire, over 1 terabyte of lossless music, in high quality mp3 format on a 514 gig usb stick and love having everything present to select from at once. Not dozens of cds laying around.

Hello, While the newer model doesn't have a CD player, Pretty sure it has a port for plugging in a USB stick. Using high bit rate MP3s, you are very unlikely to hear any difference at all in a cars noisy environment and likely not when parked either. Perhaps with headphones. Also I have my entire, over 1 terabyte of lossless music, in high quality mp3 format on a 514 gig usb stick and love having everything present to select from at once. Not dozens of cds laying around.
Yes, I am looking into using a USB stick and downloading lossles music files from HDtracks.com, or other sites like that.

This brings up another question: What type of files does the system in the Forester accept? I would prefer to download FLAC files because they are gapless and the continuity of, say, live albums is kept intact.

Yes, I am looking into using a USB stick and downloading lossles music files from HDtracks.com, or other sites like that.

This brings up another question: What type of files does the system in the Forester accept? I would prefer to download FLAC files because they are gapless and the continuity of, say, live albums is kept intact.
No FLACK..Only MPEG-4, MPEG-4 HE, MP3, WMA, PCMWAVE. As others have mentioned, probably not going to make much difference in the environment of a Wilderness. This is not a well sound deadened luxury car.

Difference is noticeable. I too am looking for a SUV with CD Player. I don't own a computer. Bad move Subura

Ask a Question