Anuther gnubee werkin on an Outbaaaak

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on a problem with a friend's 2000 Outback. A few weeks ago there was noise when starting - described as a squeal. I started the car with no noise. Nothing to look for. A week later I started it ok again. Later she heard the noise again so I started the car and at that point it sounded like a cooling fan was running loudly while the engine was running. I shut it off and tried to restart, but in start position, nothing happened. No lights dimming, nothing. I ran the AT shifter back and forth, etc. Batt showed 12.5 at battery and starter term. The sol. wire disconnected was 5.6 in both Key On and Key Start positions. Pulled starter expecting an issue why the drive didn't disengage (re the "fan" noise I heard). Found nothing wrong ,except the starter was in generally bad condition - bearing/bushing noise, etc so bought a new starter - which was a good investment. However, am still stuck with the 5.6 v problem. I hear the relay/s in the eng compartment box clicking in Key Start position, but until I can find the culprit, I can use a push button in the interior to jump from 12V to the solenoid wire to activate the starter, which allows her to drive until I learn the possibles better. I understand from elsewhere forums that this generation has a switch that may be a problem on the AT shift selector, so I'll check to see if car starts in N. Otherwise, am hoping for a solid suggestion or two. thx.

Attachments

• FLEE.jpg
    FLEE.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
Looking for some ideas on a problem with a friend's 2000 Outback. A few weeks ago there was noise when starting - described as a squeal. I started the car with no noise. Nothing to look for. A week later I started it ok again. Later she heard the noise again so I started the car and at that point it sounded like a cooling fan was running loudly while the engine was running. I shut it off and tried to restart, but in start position, nothing happened. No lights dimming, nothing. I ran the AT shifter back and forth, etc. Batt showed 12.5 at battery and starter term. The sol. wire disconnected was 5.6 in both Key On and Key Start positions. Pulled starter expecting an issue why the drive didn't disengage (re the "fan" noise I heard). Found nothing wrong ,except the starter was in generally bad condition - bearing/bushing noise, etc so bought a new starter - which was a good investment. However, am still stuck with the 5.6 v problem. I hear the relay/s in the eng compartment box clicking in Key Start position, but until I can find the culprit, I can use a push button in the interior to jump from 12V to the solenoid wire to activate the starter, which allows her to drive until I learn the possibles better. I understand from elsewhere forums that this generation has a switch that may be a problem on the AT shift selector, so I'll check to see if car starts in N. Otherwise, am hoping for a solid suggestion or two. thx.
To help any other lost souls looking for repair suggestions... I pulled the plastic covers off the lower dash area under the steering wheel and on the left underside there is a small cluster of soldered connections (see photo) - probably on the back side of the key switch. Well, I bumped one of the wires and it was essentially disconnected. So I held the key in start position and touched the wire to the solder point and the car started with no issues. Just remember, at least in my situation, a push button can be wired between a 12 V source and the spade terminal on the rear of the starter solenoid to get you by until you find the culprit circuit or component. Good luck. Deebee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bajatex

Latest Threads

Back