Amphibaru

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. So, i've got sort of a weird proposition that i've been toying with for the last few months. I would like to make an amphibious car (look up dutton reef and youll see the sort of shape im going for) at some point, and i'm really looking to bounce some ideas off of other creative people. Been thinking of what vehicle would be best suited for this sort of thing, and ofc im already a subie person but i also think a subaru would uniquely fit this purpose.
If i remember correctly the older automatic (and not the manual?) subies had a fuse you could put in that would convert them to fwd, my main question is that in theory, could the driveshaft then be disconnected from the rear diff and connected to a prop? Then when its time to set sail the fwd fuse be taken out and the prop (and ofc the front wheels) would spin?
I cant think of any reason why not, but i certainly am not an expert. I have heard that running them in fwd mode isnt good for them, but obviously this wouldnt be my daily driver lol.
And if any boat people are here, do you think the driveshaft would spin fast enough for a prop, or would it need to go through a speed increaser gearbox first? Or even could it be run up through the floor at the rear to run a jetski-like jet drive? I realise this isnt a typical forum post but thanks for your time and any info or better ideas you may have!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlH

Latest Threads

Back