98 Forester - Knocking after timing belt replacement

Reaction score
I'll try to keep it short, but detailed

My 98 Forester has been leaking oil ever since we acquired it, ~3 years ago. It's become worse as time goes on, culminating in the decision to replace the oil pump a week ago. Various delaying things happened, but this culminated in me finally getting it all put back together about a week later.
If it helps, I followed this video when tearing into the timing belt:
I wasn't sure how to get the crankshaft pulley torqued back up, because the video had no instructions. I found a thread on another forum that suggested having someone put the car in first and put the brakes on while the bolt was torqued up. Everything seemed to be fine, until I went to start the car up. It cranked, but it didn't start. The cranking sounded unhealthy on the third crank after the key was turned, but I figured that was just because the timing belt was off a tooth.
I took it all apart and looked at the timing belt. It looked like one of the marks was misaligned, so I took the engine all apart and reset the timing belt. I had a devil of a time getting the pulleys under tension to stay where they should be, but I'm pretty sure I rotated them the way they were supposed to be rotated whenever they popped out of alignment. This time, when we tightened the crankshaft bolt, we stuck a screwdriver in the flywheel, because putting the pressure on the belt/engine apparently wasn't a good idea and may have caused the timing belt to jump.
The timing belt marks were all definitely aligned this time, and it started up just fine, but now it knocks.
Did the timing belt jump a few teeth the first time and I destroyed any chance of repairing it when I tried to start it the first time?
I'm really hoping I didn't ruin the engine.

Thanks!

Ask a Question