2011 Impreza Outback Sport slight knock/ticking sound

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new here so bare with me. I have a 2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with 88k miles. So i took it to the Subaru dealership by me because i wanted to get it looked at cause im moving out of state here soon and it an 8 hour drive. Just wanted to make sure everything was fine and good to go before i leave. So Subaru called me and said that there technician hears a slight knock and recommended a new short block and quoted me at $5800. My question is, is there anything else that i should be looking for or hearing for because I barely hear anything at all. Ive had the car for almost 3 years now and the motor has always made like a ticking sound or tapping sound( this is my 4th Subaru and i remember them all sounding similar to this) ive taken care of it since ive had it, oil changes every 3k miles, coolant flushes etc. Was just wondering if anyone had any advice or knowledge or any similar problems. The car runs and drives fine and im babying it now out of concern that i might blow it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Not a Subaru guru, but you know your engine, or at least the sounds it makes. If nothing new, Id say kick sand.
Unfortunately I do know many shops, no matter the name on the sign out front, are less than scrupulous. I've been told on the highest authority I have had anywhere from a bent frame to a dying engine. Transmission shave been my nemesis through life though.
With what you gave, and that may be all there is, it is hard to dx. There are several engine lines that tick, and will do so no matter what you do short of shutting them off. I don't know if Subaru has any of those.
Good Luck.

Ask a Question