Overtightened screw at bottom of engine block and the screw housing busted off

Reaction score
How screwed am I? I was changing the oil and noticed a gap where a bolt appears to be missing. Looks like it was leaking oil there so i made a note to find a replacement screw to get it back together. There was another screw next to it that attaches to what i believe is the engine block. It was totally loose so I tightened it with a 10mm box wrench... must have over-torqued or it was already starting to crack because the screw eye on the engine block broke off. Now I have nothing to tighten that screw too. Is there anything I can do? Is this a major issue beyond a minor oil leak? After an oil change it did not appear to be leaking right away. It is a 2001 subaru forester 4 cylinder 2.5 L.

The screw that broke the block eye is to the right, i left it in so its easy to see in the photo. the other pic is the piece that snapped off piece. The bolt thats missing is to the left, you can see the gap and the old oil leaking out.

Attachments

• subaru 1.jpg
    subaru 1.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 5
  • subaru 2.jpg
    subaru 2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Ask a Question