Overloaded?????

Reaction score
I own a 21 Legacy Limited XT. It now has 33,900 miles on it and is still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Last week we went on vacation with another couple to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. We took 2 cars to get there, but generally drove one car with all 4 people for the rest of the week. There were also 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. The problem is that when we hit a bump or a dip in the road, the back of the car would "bottom out". There was a hard thump felt each time.

Upon arriving home, I contacted my dealer for an appointment to have the rear springs replaced. I took it to the dealership this morning. After about 4 hours with the car, I get a call from the service adviser. I was told that there is a sticker inside the driver's door stating that the weight of passengers and cargo can never be more than 850 pounds. They could/would do nothing. Yes, that sticker is inside the door. (Check your car for the same sticker.)

I will admit that we were near the 850 pounds. The driver weighs 210, the front seat passenger is 250, and two women in the back seat at 170 each. the golf clubs probably run 20 pounds per set. That totals 840 pounds.

This is a "family" car built for 5 people with a large trunk. How then can the car be engineered for only 850 pounds for people and cargo???? This car is supposed to be engineered for safe driving in the USA. Bottoming out with 4 passengers in a 5-passenger car says something is seriously wrong.

Any suggestions of what I can do from here are very welcome. Thanks.

I replaced the rear struts and springs at my own cost. Guess what - no more bottoming out. I duplicated the scenario above but at home with no problems at all. I guess the car is capable, but the rear suspension was worn out. Surprising at 34,000 miles though.

I filed a case with Subaru of America Customer Advocacy. I'm trying to get them to reimburse me for the costs. We'll see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RolrSk8

Latest Threads

Back