Knock sensor issues

Reaction score
We bought a used 1999 forester about a month ago, with the check engine light on. Find out what the codes read, tells us knock sensor. Replaced the sensor twice now, in about 3 weeks. Check engine came on again yesterday, but went away after we stopped somewhere- it just didn't come back on when we restarted the engine. It did this again today, and I stopped to have the code read- but on my way home it went off again! Every time we read the check engine codes it says the knock sensor and nothing else. What could be causing this problem?

Identify the model.
Post the actual fault code that was recorded. A decent scan tool will also capture the "freeze frame" of when the fault was recorded.
Knock sensor faults can be attributed to internal engine noises, poor fuel quality, a poor quality replacement knock sensor, too much fuel injected, defective - damaged wiring harness, noises - tapping from the engine mechanical components, incorrect ignition timing.

The surface must be clean, connections clean and tight. Use the correct bolt and torque specification.

Attachments

• 1999 Forester.png
    1999 Forester.png
    883 bytes · Views: 4
  • What is the SUBARU knock sensor and what does it do.pdf
    165.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The light is off at the moment, when the light comes back on and we get the code read i will return to this thread. i think it is a 2.5 liter forester S, my mom isn't sure what model it is and im just 14 trying to get the car to be atleast decent for when i can drive. Thank you for your efforts and I will return sometime.

Post the VIN and I can identify the exact model.
Post the OBD tool being used or a photo of it.

Ask a Question