Humming whirling noise inquiry.

Reaction score
I have a 6-speed 2.5 '16 Forester with 107K and recently had the clutch replaced as the throw out bearing was making noise and needed to be replaced and the clutch was a bit thinner than I'd like. After this replacement, I have noticed a whirling or humming noise coming from under the car, thinking it might be a wheel bearing. I had the tires rotated and balanced (to check that too), I checked all of the wheels for any play, resistance different from the others and other tell tells I have known for bearings starting to fail. In addition, I drove the car to the speed where the noise is apparent (above 40) and tried to get the noise to change by turning, slowing, speeding up or putting in the clutch. The noise is not effected by turning, and when the engine is disengaged and the tach slows, the noise stays in tandem with the speed of the vehicle and doesn't alter. It seems when first speeding up the car to get to the noise, the noise wavers and then as the speed increases, it aligns with the other car noise, it's akin to tuning an electric guitar by tuning one string to another, if you know what I mean.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

David

Ask a Question