'96 Impreza engine coughed, threw a CEL

O

oothlagre

Hey any idea what would cause this? I was exiting the freeway and as I was coming to a stop the engine "coughed" and almost stalled, then threw a CEL.

I have the code here. P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. The guy at AutoZone said it could be MAP sensor or air filter or possibly bad gas to make it do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I'm going to change my air filter too.

Just a guess, but it sounds like the engine was about to stall, the computer
tried to compensate by bumping up the idle, but with no effect, so it blamed
the idle control system. The problem probably lies elsewhere, such as
insufficient fuel pressure. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? If not,
when you do, pour the contents into a glass to see how much junk might
have been clogging it up.

Bob
Hey any idea what would cause this? I was exiting the freeway and as I was coming to a stop the engine "coughed" and almost stalled, then threw a CEL.

I have the code here. P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. The guy at AutoZone said it could be MAP sensor or air filter or possibly bad gas to make it do that.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I'm going to change my air filter too.

No, I haven't and I looked at the air filter today and it is ready for a change. I beat off a lot of crap and put it back. I'll get a new one tomorrow, maybe a fuel filter too.

Thanks for the advice.

Henry
Just a guess, but it sounds like the engine was about to stall, the computer
tried to compensate by bumping up the idle, but with no effect, so it blamed
the idle control system. The problem probably lies elsewhere, such as
insufficient fuel pressure. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? If not,
when you do, pour the contents into a glass to see how much junk might
have been clogging it up.

Bob

No, I haven't and I looked at the air filter today and it is ready for a change.
I beat off a lot of crap and put it back. I'll get a new one tomorrow,
maybe a fuel filter too.

Just a thought, since you said it happened as you
were coming to a stop off the freeway...maybe
you've got enough water collected in fuel filter
to slosh around and get pulled in? Or low fuel in
tank?

I had over half tank of gas. I just started up today and the CEL went
out........... All I did was bang on the air filter and knock some crap off.
I'm going to replace it and the fuel filter.

Henry

Ask a Question